Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Pipe Analysis

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
allendamron
712 Views, 10 Replies

2017 Pipe Analysis

We are thinking about upgrading from 2016 to 2017 C3D.

I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Analyze Gravity Network command in C3D and how well it works compared to exporting our system to SSA.

Thanks, Allen Damron

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: allendamron

apples and oranges...  

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 11
allendamron
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

The problem we have with SSA is that any pipe sizes and flowlines that are changed in SSA have to be updated back in civil 3d manually.

If 2017 can analyze pipes inside civil 3d, then we wouldn't have to update them twice, right?

Allen Damron

Message 4 of 11
Hidden_Brain

From what I know based on limited research this new feature is for pipe sizing only, kind of like running hydraflow storm sewers within C3D. Pumps, gates, rules etc. and other bells and whistles of SSA not included. I personally think this is a step in the right direction after all these years of separate layout and analysis platforms.

Message 5 of 11
fcernst

..I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Analyze Gravity Network command in C3D and how well it works compared to exporting our system to SSA.

I tried it initially when it first came and found defective issues that are now logged and being addressed by Development.

Refer to Case ID: 12150096

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 11
BrianHailey

My understanding is this simply does a HEC-22 analysis on the pipes.

As far as updating the pipes in Civil 3D, if everything is set up correctly, you should be able to export a .stm file out of SSA and then import that into the drawing with the network and it will update it. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 11
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: fcernst

Defects or Limitations...

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 8 of 11
rl_jackson

Watching

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
fcernst
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Capture.PNG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 11
allendamron
in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian,

On the autodesk help site, under About Pipe Network Rules:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-4FBF470E-16EC-497A-82A9-8E84580F3963

It has this note:

Note: It is important to note that rules are not applied to pipes or structures when importing pipe networks from either LandXML or from the Storm Sewers Extension.

I'm wondering how to size pipes....if you don't apply rules, then how do you size pipes with the correct length and slope?

Allen Damron

Message 11 of 11
aphelan0032

Our office has been looking for a software that does exactly what this says it does. We thought that the SSA would do this, however after flying the guy who claims he was head of the development in. We were very disappointed to learn that we still had to manually type the results back in, and there were a bunch of defects in the software. I quickly tried this new program out, and here is what I think of it:

1. It’s a great step in the right direction to have a software that can size pipes within AutoCAD and make the changes to pipes automatically for you.
  2. The way its setup up is relatively user friendly and seems that it can be setup up and ran pretty easily
  3. When analyzing the pipes, the program will spit out random pipe sizes i.e., .36’ pipe, and there isn’t a way that I found to limit the pipe size to like a 12” min.
  4. When given the results, you are given the opportunity to modify the results, and when you do so, you can’t apply the modified results to the network.

Hopefully they continue to improve this product, it would be great to have something like this to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report