Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 C3D upgrade to ?????

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
510 Views, 4 Replies

2014 C3D upgrade to ?????

I'm currently working on 2 projects using C2D 2014. I would like to upgrade to take advantage of new features. Any advice on hoe far to go - 2015, 2916, 2017?  I realize the higher I go the features are available but I'm also interested in downward compatibility with my drafting sub who is stuck at 2010 ACAD.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

2017 is not compatible with any prior version without a lot of additional work, and I suspect that the 2018 release (end of April if all goes according to prior years) is basically going to be the same thing.

2013-16 were compatible drawing formats. 2013 & 14 templates are not compatible with each other due to SQL changes.

I would recommend that your sub, upgrade during the process. 2010 is a prior format, and will just make additional work for you.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jrauch

If you're using Civil 3D 2014, and your drafting sub is using AutoCAD 2010, then you're already having to convert the drawing, right? It's just a Save As or eTransmit once you get the Civil 3D objects out of the picture. And from my experience, the ExportC3DDrawing command has only gotten better with time. So the latest version you're comfortable with (2017 has been out for almost a year) would likely yield the best results. Good luck!

-John J. Rauch, P.E.
Message 4 of 5
Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently working on 2 projects using C2D 2014. I would like to upgrade to take advantage of new features. Any advice on hoe far to go - 2015, 2916, 2017?  I realize the higher I go the features are available but I'm also interested in downward compatibility with my drafting sub who is stuck at 2010 ACAD.

You could upgrade to 2016 without hardly any issues related to how you're currently working. However, going to 2017 will cause  you headaches as it's not backwards compatible. Since you are working with someone on 2010, you have to already be downgrading  your drawing, so it might not be a big issue for you to go on to 2017. Personally I'd move to 2016 and then stick with that for the remainder of your current projects. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thank you both for your comments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report