Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the reference system full grid in paper space to small crosses?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
737 Views, 3 Replies

How can I change the reference system full grid in paper space to small crosses?

Hi, 

I'm just wondering how to go about changing the automatically generated full grid given for a reference system (layout tools - reference system) to show as small crosses instead? 

Thanks very much in advance.

Jessica 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TerryDotson
in reply to: Anonymous

There are very few options on this tool.  You can't generate tics instead of lines, it must be in a paper space layout (not model space), you can't edit to expand or shrink the window (it's locked to the ortho rectangular viewport window). The best you can do is generate its results, then place a cross block insert at the intersections (you can snap to INT), then put the PLGRIDSYSTEM object in a frozen layer.  Be aware that if you change the viewport in any way your crosses are at the OLD locations !!!

There is an alternative tool that doesn't have these limitations.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: TerryDotson

Thank you very much for answering! It seems so strange that there isn't a simple way to change the grid? What you're saying makes a lot of sense, though I am struggling to get the grid lines to snap to INT. I've tried turning all snaps on but nothing seems to work for the grid lines. I have even tried exploding the grid lines - nothing. 

Thanks 

Jess

Message 4 of 4
TerryDotson
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't realize that I had some model space geometry in the view and must have been picking up that.  So you cannot snap.  You would need to zoom in extremely tight on the crossing segments and place a tic (cross) block at the approximate location.  A lot of work if you have a tight grid, especially since it's subject to being lost if the viewport changes. 

If this is not a reoccurring need, you could use the full working evaluation of the previously mentioned add-on to plot the grid with crosses (in model space).  The results are a bound collection of native geometry (lines, mtext) that would remain usable in the drawing forever.  Or tell me the drawing and alternate systems with an area of interest coordinate window (LL > UR) and interval and I'll post a block you can insert.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report