Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to consider the elevation in the scaled model for free surface flow

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
eng.abass5
415 Views, 5 Replies

How to consider the elevation in the scaled model for free surface flow

Hi, could you please advise me. 

I want to analyze the flow in the river with waterfall, suppose the ratio between the model and the prototype is 

1:50, to scale the flow velocity i use Froude number. But i have a doubt when it comes to waterfall elevation. 

Do i need to multiply the gravity with 50 like this (0,0,-50) instead of (0,0,-1)  or not ? 

Do i need to activate hydrostatic pressure or it's already considered in free surface analysis. 

another question 

First figure, this guy in his tutorial  defined the gravity direction and the gravity acceleration value below:

screen111.png

in this figure  from Autodesk webinar, they kept the value of the component as 0 

screen222.png

which one is correct 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hello @eng.abass5

• Do i need to multiply the gravity with 50 like this (0,0,-50) instead of (0,0,-1)  or not ? 
    • the original model and the prototype are operating in the same gravitional field, so the constant g will remain the same. gprotype=gmodel
  • Do i need to activate hydrostatic pressure or it's already considered in free surface analysis. 
    • No, it's already considered in free surface analysis flow. 

Fred

Message 3 of 6

I am grateful for your replay, but how can i transform the effect elevation on velocity profile   between the model and the prototype ? is it a linear transformation ?

Message 4 of 6

with the caracteristic lenght 

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 6

this for the  flow at the same horizontal level, basically Froude number. 

what i am talking about is the waterfall, when water fall from the top. 

Message 6 of 6

Hello @eng.abass5 

You can understand the Froude number as a ratio between the kinematic energy and the potential energy. In your  case the characteristic lenght ''l'' will become h, the height. 

hope it helps

Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report