Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwriting model clouds For Revit

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
diego.jaramilloGRBQ9
4577 Views, 10 Replies

Overwriting model clouds For Revit

I need to overwrite a model from Revit in my computer to BIM 360, but it isn't possible. If I erase this model in BIM 360 and Save a new model with same name, I lose the version historial. How Can i overwrite this model from my computer to BIM 360?

overwriting.PNG

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: diego.jaramilloGRBQ9

Hi

Basically you will need to rename the file on BIM 360 and then you can either move to an archive folder or leave where it is, this will ensure you have the history and it's retained.

If you copy it to another folder you'll delete the history.

If you move it to another folder the history is retained.

Once renamed you can then upload the new file with the old file name.

If you don't need the history then you can delete the file.

You Cannot overwrite the file as you would lose the history the same as you would if you did this on you local server, if you 'saveas' central on your local server you'll delete the backups and history.

When we need to preserve the history and issues and markups we rename the file, then we upload a the new file with the old file name.

Message 3 of 11

That is understood, but how can you use the compare version functionality in such case? Looks like you simply can't.

Message 4 of 11

the interface for this operation is totally a waste of time and broken. I should be able to upload or from Revit upload a new version of a cloud model without  wasting hours of time running in circles getting errors from Autodesk. This is hat wastes time in peoples lives and careers. Make it work Autodesk. every task is a mystery with you guys. I've been using this for 12 years every work day now and still baffled how difficult you make every step of "BIM"

Message 5 of 11
semih_unal
in reply to: jdcarlingJQBC3

It appears that there hasn't been any progress on this matter, including within the ACC. I'm currently using bridged projects, and I find it quite frustrating. I'm curious to learn about your workflow and approach in dealing with this issue. Could you please share your insights on the best way to handle it?

Message 6 of 11
RSomppi
in reply to: semih_unal

Overwriting a model in the cloud doesn't make a new version. It is a new model. You will need to find an alternative for comparing models. We have a project where this process may turn out to be a critical need but have not explored any options, yet.

Message 7 of 11

It would be nice if versions are saved by file name, to simply overwrite what is there.  I receive a structural model as a .ifc file.  I convert the file to to a revit model to be hosted and used by the design/ coordination team.  Any updates and trying to save back to BIM360 gives me the same problem.  It is a few extra steps needed, but this is what I have been doing as described above. 

Message 8 of 11
RSomppi
in reply to: tcookYCXTL

A model with the same file name doesn't make it the same model as the previous one with that name. It may look the same but under the hood, there is information that says otherwise. That is why versioning doesn't work for different models with the same name. They aren't considered the same model. Now, if you were to edit the existing model instead of replacing it, you would have your versioning.

Message 9 of 11

This is not a B360 issue. Revit has been like this from the beginning. A central file, networked or cloud, has a GUID that does not allow for new files to overwrite without deleting all the history. A Networked central has X number of backups for history, but those are associated with central file X. When you overwrite a new file Y the backups lose their association. 
A workflow that we use:
1. WIP Revit files are stored in a Revit folder and are Workshared Cloud models. 
2. We copy that model to a coordination directory for others to download. That way we have direct version control of the files we need, but still have our WIP models. 
You could do that and copy your new model over the old in the Coordination folder. History will be only the copied versions and Revit will not connect like a WS cloud.

Message 10 of 11
semih_unal
in reply to: hubbardFJXGT

'You could do that and copy your new model over the old in the Coordination folder. History will be only the copied versions and Revit will not connect like a WS cloud.'

The problem is when you create issues and markups on the copied model and continue versioning it, you will encounter a situation where you can't access previous issues and markups on the copied version. This message will appear on both 2D sheets and the 3D model: "Previous markups and calibration are still updating. Check back later."

I can only access the previous issues and markups via selecting previous versions of the file. I've already reached out to support, and currently awaiting their response to address this situation.

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

semih_unal_0-1698059207733.png 

Do you by any chance have any solution for this?

Message 11 of 11
semih_unal
in reply to: semih_unal

I've submitted an idea and would greatly appreciate your support through your votes. Thank you.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/improved-quot-issues-amp-markups-quot-visibility-for-no...

Especially from you guys (@diego.jaramilloGRBQ9 , @Anonymous , @Gustavo.ValenteDias , @jdcarlingJQBC3 , @Anonymous , @tcookYCXTL , @hubbardFJXGT)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report