Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Collaboration permission levels

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
markus_briglmeir
7614 Views, 10 Replies

Design Collaboration permission levels

We got some questions on the permission levels in Design Collaboration, and how they relate to the permissions on folders in Document management. In this post we want to give some background information what is happening behind the scenes when assigning permission levels to Design Collaboration users.

General

The user interface of Design Collaboration provides easy to use tools for share and consume workflows between multiple teams, while Document management folders and permission in the back-end are the basis, that enable these workflows. There's a separate post Set up teams and folders comfortably with Design Collaboration to get more background information on teams and folders. 

Permission levels for Design Collaboration are assigned in the Design Collaboration Project Admin, and automatically grant the necessary permissions on various folders needed for publishing from Revit and sharing & consuming packages.

For Design Collaboration workflows there is no need to set extra folder permissions in Document Management itself, these can all be handled in a comfortable way through the Project Admin user interface.

Design Collaboration - Access team member management 4.png

Design Collaboration - Access team member management 5.png

Steps to define permission levels

1. Access Project Admin
  2. Under services, select Design Collaboration on panel on the left
  3. Select Team
  4. Manage Team members
  5. Adjust permissions per user, role or company

Design Collaboration Permission levels

View only

Users can view the team’s Work in Progress data (WIP) like published sets, the project model, packages visible to the team.

Adds viewing permission to

• global Shared folder
  • team folder

Design Collaboration - Folder permissions 1.png

View + edit

Users can publish from Revit into team’s WIP folder, create and update team’s packages. Can consume packages from other teams.

• global Shared folder

Adds edit permission to

• team folder

Design Collaboration - Folder permissions 1.png

View + edit + share

Users can share packages with other teams.

• global Shared folder

Adds edit permission to

• team folder
  • team’s Shared folder

Design Collaboration - Folder permissions 3.png

Custom

Permissions have been defined in BIM 360 Document Management and don’t match the categories above.

Inherited

A member has access to a parent folder of the team folder, e.g. "Project Files". In this case the access rights can't be changed. 

Note: A project administrator role will be mapped to a “View + edit + share” permission level. 

Markus Briglmeir, Product Manager BIM 360 Design Collaboration

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Additional note: 

You might see Inherited as a status for permission levels, see the second screenshot in my original post for example. I added an according section to the post.

Inherited:

A member has access to a parent folder of the team folder, e.g. "Project Files". In this case the access rights can't be changed. 

Markus Briglmeir, Product Manager BIM 360 Design Collaboration

Message 3 of 11

@markus_briglmeirwrote:

For Design Collaboration workflows there is no need to set extra folder permissions in Document Management itself, these can all be handled in a comfortable way through the Project Admin user interface.

Thanks Markus.

So to confirm, for a folder which is used for Design Collaboration its permissions will take precedent over any permissions previously assigned through Document Management. i.e. Document Management permissions are ignored.

Correct?

Message 4 of 11

@Chad-Smith, I appologize for that late response, this question got out of my radar.

The Design Collaboration Adminsitrator applies Document Management Permissions to the different folders. Existing permissions should be listed in the Members Management dialog and you can extend or reduce the existing permission level.

To answer your question: Document Management Permissions are not ignored.

-Martyn

Martyn Messerli
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the explanation.

Just o be sure

- Permissions set in the Admin part of Design collaboration are used in Revit and Design Collaboration only

- Permissions set in BIM360 Docs don't have influence on the permissions set for design collaboration and are used in BIM360 Docs only.

I'm asking this because it is possible that teams are working with other documents in the same team folder and I want to be sure both permissions, set on the same folder, doesn't cause conflicts

Message 6 of 11

@ruud.vantongeren For both questions the answer is no. I hope this post helps to better understand what happens: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-design-collaboration/share-vs-permission-in-bim-360-design/m-...

- Permissions set in the Admin part of Design collaboration are used in Revit and Design Collaboration only.

Design Collaboration does ONLY set and shows permission of BIM360 Docs folders. It aggregates the premissions from the different folders and shows the result in Administrators Manage Teammembers. You see either a one of the available permission levels from Design Collaboration Administrator (View, + Edit, + Share) or for Inherited and Custom you should see the custom settings. This depends on the setting the user/manager has applied to the folders.

- Permissions set in BIM360 Docs don't have influence on the permissions set for design collaboration and are used in BIM360 Docs only.

Same as above, Design Collaboration is only bound to BIM360 Docs permissions.

-Martyn

Martyn Messerli
Software Engineer
Message 7 of 11

@martyn.messerli wrote:

@ruud.vantongeren For both questions the answer is no. I hope this post helps to better understand what happens: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-design-collaboration/share-vs-permission-in-bim-360-design/m-...

- Permissions set in the Admin part of Design collaboration are used in Revit and Design Collaboration only.

Design Collaboration does ONLY set and shows permission of BIM360 Docs folders. It aggregates the premissions from the different folders and shows the result in Administrators Manage Teammembers. You see either a one of the available permission levels from Design Collaboration Administrator (View, + Edit, + Share) or for Inherited and Custom you should see the custom settings. This depends on the setting the user/manager has applied to the folders.

Same as above, Design Collaboration is only bound to BIM360 Docs permissions. <--- not anymore

-Martyn

Hi Martyn,

In one year many things changed apparently!

The permission that were set in BIM 360 Docs differ now from BIM 360 Design Collaboration -- It adds an additional complexity but I think it is suitable. Here how:

I set my permissions by Company since we are adding users/licenses every day it is much easier to manage permissions that way especially in docs (Project Files) - I found after an extensive use of the platform that although I have set those permissions to View/Edit/Upload and didnt want to provide control (full admin) to an entire company for Project Files - I had to think differently for Design Collab. I prefer to use the Design Discipline Lead (Architect or Engineer) and provide him/her View/Edit/Share permission  - Note that the permissions levels names changed from View+Upload+Edit  (for Docs) to View + Upload + Share (Design Collab.) I like it better that way. Thanks Deskers to make my life easier!

Message 8 of 11

Was this option to Manage Team Members Removed?  I'd like to be able to allow one of my Architects to be able to Create and Share packages.  They are to publish.  They have Download/Read/Write Permissions in Docs folder for the documents they want to Share. But the can't Create and share a package.  Or do they need Download/Read/Write permissions for the "Shared" folder as well?  Is that the case?  Thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 11

@dtpeter2091 the option to Manage Team Members was not removed. In the Teams interface you can click on the number under Members and add/remove team members in the open dialogue box:

RevitBadger_0-1617284148035.png

Message 10 of 11

I have a user with Edit permissions for the Architect team in Design Collaboration. He is not able to Consume another Teams Shared Package created in the MEP team. Why not? Don't View/Create permissions roll up into the Edit? Do I have to give them access/permission to the MEP team?  I have them assigned by their role. I have confirmed that the role is assigned to them. I do not want to give them Manage permissions. Based on the continuous unknown and unanswered above there still seems to be issues....Does Document Management permissions for the folders affect their consume capability?

Please help.

Thanks,

Bruce

Message 11 of 11

Hi Bruce,

As long as the user's team permission is set to Edit in DC, he should be able to consume the package.

When he's in Design Collaboration and expands the team list, did he click his team (Architecture) to make it current at the bottom of the list? If so, he can then click on an open circle shared packed and have the option to consume.

If Architecture is not the current team, and he doesn't have permissions on other teams, he will not be able to consume.

Consume.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report