Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central File Path Troubles

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Jon_Fenton
313 Views, 2 Replies

Central File Path Troubles

Hi all,

Goal: Host a number of central Revit models on BIM 360 which can be worked on by a team of two remote designers - myself and one other. 

I've been managing and working on 3 or 4 central models myself for the last year or two. These are saved to my BIM360 Document Management platform, and I access them via Desktop Connector on my laptop. I'm trying to bring in another team member to help carry the design load. I've just downloaded the most recent versions of Revit, Desktop Connector, hotfixes, etc. Myself and my coworker both have active subscriptions for Revit and BIM Collaborate Pro.

The issue seems to be that the central models all have file paths that are specific to my machine, i.e., "C:\Users\jonat\ACCDocs\...".  Every time my coworker tries to access the files via the BIM360 drive (now "Autodesk Docs") on his own machine, he cannot toggle the option for "create a local copy" - and if he opens the central file, he gets an error that "the central file has been copied or moved" and is prompted to resave the file as a new central file.  

I'm utterly confused by Autodesks mish-mash of products intended to create worksharing opportunities, and the fact that the platforms have changed name/description at least a few times over recent years - Collaborate for Revit, Desktop Connector, BIM 360 Hubs, BIM 360 Design, now Autodesk Construction Cloud Docs.

[Some additional information (could be irrelevant). In an effort to troubleshoot, I've tried detaching models and creating new central files. During this process, I've noticed that with the upgrade to 2022, I've lost the "Collaborate" button that used to live in the "Manage Collaboration" panel, which is what all tutorials and instructions on the matter point to. Also, the "Cloud Model" option in the "Save As" menu has gone grey. In my research, the only suggested solution is to check licensing assignments, which I've double and triple checked, unassigned and reassigned with no change.]

Please help! Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Best,

Jon

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
nolangene
in reply to: Jon_Fenton

First some confusion here. How are you collaborating the model. Collaborate in the cloud should be a workshared model. This means it is only visible within the Revit Autodesk Docs(formerly BIM 360) on the Recent page. This is actually a browser interface. Workshared models should be opened only from this location. Collaborating to a model available in the Autodesk Docs environment is going to a published model not a workshared model. You both need to open and work in the workshared model. Published models are snapshots of the workshared model. Let me know if you need more info than this. You can create, save, open and edit a model in the Autodesk Docs environment but it would be a single user NOT a workshared model.

Message 3 of 3
Jon_Fenton
in reply to: nolangene

Thanks for your input.

The issue turned out to be an entitlement recognition one. Revit was not recognizing my Collaborate Pro license. Not sure of the specifics, but a clean wipe of all Revit programs and reinstall did the trick. 

More context here - Re: Central File Path Trouble - Autodesk Community - Revit Cloud Worksharing

JF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report