Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow - Review should use Checklist features

Workflow - Review should use Checklist features

In B360 Build (legacy Field) the ability to create and use Checklists is a great but limited feature.  I understand that this feature was conceptualized to be used only by handheld portable devices.  Meaning that they only run on IOS or Android systems using the B360 App.  Of course this ignores the ability to use a regular laptop or hybrid, like the MS Surface to complete a checklist.  Who would ever use a laptop in the field?

So you ask, "What does this have to do with "Workflows"?"

Well, Workflows or Reviews (the terminology should be standardized here, pick one label and change everything to match), are limited in their functionality and relate to BIM 360 DOCs, whereas Checklists relate only to BIM 360 Build.

Reviews have a 2 or 3 step approval process, now with added features, but still far from fully functional.  The review process as delivered does not support operations in a team environment where multiple reviewers within a group can participate without having to use a work around.  Using the workaround, the current Reviewer's Comments are deleted, however Mark-Ups remain.  Additionally, one of our critical review processes currently uses a checklist that we must complete & track via an MS Word document separately.  This is ridiculous!  The result, our company has opted to not use the review process, because there is no added value to using it.  Why?

1. Lack of multiple reviewers at the same level (TEAM)
  2. Lack of Checklist integration, especially without a "Build" license
  3. Lack of Checklist feature support within a Windows environment
    • Create Issues
    • Photos
    • Notes related to Checklist items

I have championed the adoption and integration of BIM 360 at  our company and lead the education  of our employees and standardization of BIM 360 processes into our daily operations, I have noticed a definite trend in the new developments for BIM 360, and I like it!

It appears that there is considerably more development in the BIM 360 DOCs element, specifically the "Project Files" section than when BIM 360 was first launched.  Initially, DOCs was nothing more than a glorified One-Drive.   I think Autodesk recognized the critical need for a truly superb "Document" Management & Collaboration system.  Please continue with your developments for DOCs, especially on the Project File side.  I look forward and evaluate all ne developments for addition to our daily operations.

Many companies that use BIM 360 and want to use more of  the Document Control features, and do not use the Collaboration features (PLANS).  We have no outside engineering or structural firms that use Revit, therefore there is no need to use the Collaboration (PLANS) area with them.  So we do not use the "Plans" side of DOCs, at all.

Additionally, If I wanted to make Collaboration accessible to all of our contractors and employees, I would need to purchase 40 more BIM 360 Design licenses. $$$$$ OUCHHHH! Cost-to-Benefit analysis = $0.

We do use the "Project Files" side exclusively to manage many project documents and require our Contractors, Customers and Outside Engineering/Architecture firms to access and Mark-Up all drawings in DOCs.  This helps us meet our security requirements for data traceability.

The addition of:

• Checklists into the Review (Workflow) process
  • MS Windows full function for Checklists
  • A Team environment for Reviews

Would go a long way to increasing DOCs functionality.

Thank you to the Autodesk Team for actually reading comments on the Idea Station!

1 Comment
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous sounds like you're envisioning commissioning concepts for document control. I like it! We have leveraged that kind of functionality in Latista for commissioning and would definitely like to see a checklist tied to a specific step in the workflow and require completion prior to moving to the next step. In general, I hope Autodesk clears up the licensing of the platform... It's a nightmare to manage 3 different licenses (build, docs, glue) required to use different parts of the same tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report