Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to not download linked models when downloading a file from BIM360 Docs

Option to not download linked models when downloading a file from BIM360 Docs

Currently when downloading a file published to Document Management, the system will archive and download all its links as well.  Often times we are just after the direct file alone and not its links (archive, backup recovery, etc) so including the links only adds time and excess data.  Could there be an option to not download the links as well?

47 Comments
mdaimei
Participant

Or in others word - what is the setting to control if we want to download the host file with link files or download the host file without the link file ?

Some file are downloading without link and some file are downloading with link files in a zip folder. How and where can we control this setting ?

Regards,

Michael

senglychau
Contributor

Please update this feature to allow individual file download and links as unloaded . There might be some merits to this but we've just tested it, the host model only pointing to a published version of the linked models. Download the host model will not guarantee you with all the latest links. This can be even more problematic with BIM 360 design as you are unable to force publish any models if there are no changes(changes in the linked files did not trigger it) and you will be ending up with a host model with outdated linked models.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A work-around option I can think of would be to open the Model you are wanting to download then save-as on your network. This would give you just the single file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some way to control which file (link) is downloaded would help tremendously sharing files with third party contractors or for internal archiving process.

BA_mzabritski
Explorer

Over a year later and still no ability for this.  This really needs to happen.   Please work with us to understand how we collaborate.    Even for teams working completely in BIM360 design, we still need to download files.  And very few teams are all completely in BIM360 design.  A team member does not want to download 1GB worth of models when they only need to get the most recent version of single model.  Also, right now if I create a public link or transmittal, it makes a zip file containing a zip file.    

senglychau
Contributor

I can understand why Autodesk would want the linked files to come with the host file as one package but apart from download size there is also a risk of giving out unauthorised models or version as well. It has to be something similar to Aconex where the host file can be downloaded with links "Unloaded". This is a broken feature and should be used with care.

This should be an option by now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has this been resolved? 

michaelbe
Explorer

Has Autodesk looked at this? It is incredibly annoying to download a 2.9 gigabyte .zip file when the model you want is less than 300 megs 🙂

jjoycejr
Explorer

Agreed, this is silly that it is not on option by now and having to download over 3gig just to get one model each time...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it updated now ? I need to download 300+ models to submit to client for their records.

senglychau
Contributor

@Anonymous  this might work really well for the purpose of achieving projects. You will only have to download the host, federated model or the production models and you;ll get all the linked models that made up the views on sheets and the  client wouldn't have to run around trying to find out which models and versions to link in. 

jspartz
Participant

How is this not fixed? I know Autodesk doesn't think this is broken and it's by design, but we're telling you its broken.

I want all published versions of the posted models, not unpublished. I'm not going to tell the design team how to publish latest on all their links just so I can download it effectively.

If I want the latest published versions, I have to download 100 models, and open each zip and pull out 1 published version of that file. But, I downloaded 10x more data than I needed.

If I want the latest unpublished versions, I have to download 100 models, open every zip and dump its contents into one common folder, and choose which files are the latest every time until I have an aggregated folder of all the latest.

Please have the devs use their product in a real-world scenario, and they will be so ticked off they will change it immediately. 

@jspartz 100% agree. Espically since clients are still wanting native models to be delivered outsde of BIM360, in our case, on a weekly basisis. This makes for an unecessaryily long process, when we should be able to have the option to download only the files we select to be downloaded.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

This problem is absolutely killing my productivity.

A process that should only take me an hour to download the files I need, can take up to a day due to the links being included.

RyanWalsh8255
Contributor

2021-08-10 UPDATE: Autodesk not listening to customers 

edgar.chan6WJ3M
Contributor

I didn't expect that they have not take action to fix this issue, it is harder to write code to packed it up and downloads than click can download individual file... yet for 2 years no action was taken...

iainsavage
Mentor

I agree - every time that I download the architect's and other consultants files I end up also downloading my own files again because the architect has them linked in to their model. Downloads are circa 1GB but the one file that I want is only about a fifth of that.

ilya-frumkin
Participant

Still no response?..

allan.stableford
Advocate

100% agree. We should have control over this. It's just such a waste of resources and time currently.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report