Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Parent File Update When XREF (Child) File Is Changed

Automatic Parent File Update When XREF (Child) File Is Changed

Currently when you have a Parent File with an XREF (child) linked to it when the XREF (child) is updated it doesn't automatically update the Parent File on BIM 360. 

How you currently have to do it is if your XREF (child) changes you have to open each Parent File in AutoCAD and re-save the file. When opening the Parent File it will reference the updated XREF (child) that is saved on BIM 360.

So if your XREF (child) changes and someone unaware of this change opens a Parent File to view something based off the now outdated XREF (child) they are using wrong information which could lead to more issues.

The way I think it should work is if you have an XREF (child) used in a Parent File when the XREF (child) is changed all drawings using that XREF (child) should automatically version up on BIM 360 with the new XREF (child).

1 Comment
vierstra
Participant

As with Revit, the user should have the option of Republishing CAD drawings (so that their links are updated, plot styles can be fixed, etc.). 

Also, more robust management of xrefed drawings and other linked files would be useful - When I download or transmit files, I should have the option of including their children, as I do with Pack-n-Go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report