Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scale a volume containing particles

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
adrian_wyer
294 Views, 11 Replies

scale a volume containing particles

seems pretty straightforward, but once i started digging i got dirty 😉

i want to emit a set of particles (not moving) from within a mesh volume (a branch structure of the universe, the particles are galaxies)

i need to scale the branch (actually push deform along it's normals, easy enough) but as the branch swells, i need the galaxies to keep their relative position in the volume, so they slowly scale AWAY from each other (while remaining the same individual scale) showing how galaxies are drifting apart as the universe scales.....

would love to hear anyone's idea on how to achieve this!

thanks

a

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
adrian_wyer
in reply to: adrian_wyer

in the end i used a selection of curves as emitters and gave the galaxies random spread direction and speed.... seems to work... now if only i could instance the galaxy geo to random particles whilst preserving the redshift shader setups..... 😞

Message 3 of 12
sepu6

Message 4 of 12
adrian_wyer
in reply to: sepu6

holy hell that's amazing... thanks!

a

Message 5 of 12
adrian_wyer
in reply to: sepu6

no .mll/compounds on the github page, as mentioned in the documentation... does this mean you have to compile yourself?

Message 6 of 12
sepu6

Not need to compile if you use 2024 - for earlier versions you have to. 

Message 7 of 12
adrian_wyer

i'm using 2023 😞 

is there some documentation explaining why it would need compiling for earlier versions?

does maya 2024 have a built in compiler?

or is there a new format for plugins?

not finding anything on this...

can't really upgrade either as rest of the company is mid project...

Message 8 of 12

@adrian_wyer Because the download comes with the plug-in already compiled for 2024.

Message 9 of 12
adrian_wyer

found it, was downloading the wrong thing on github... PEBKAC...

thanks

Message 10 of 12

2024-02-14_10-37.png

Message 11 of 12

yeah got there eventually, not used to github.... low key end user hat on 🙂

a

Message 12 of 12
adrian_wyer

ok, got it all installed and working, particles from bifrost.. however... seeing as the farm/redshift versions are frozen for now at an older version that doesn't support maya 2024, i wanted to cache the particles and open the cache in 2023... but can't  write an ncache for the particles... and alembic doesn't seem to work either

don't suppose anyone has compiled the plugin against 2023?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report