Community
Bifrost Forum
Welcome to the Bifrost Forum. This is the place for artists using Bifrost to ask and answer questions, browse popular topics, and share knowledge about creating effects procedurally using Bifrost. You can also visit the Bifrost Community on AREA to download an array of ready-to-use graphs, read Bifrost news and updates, and find the latest tutorials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bifrost Benchmark

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
morteza.cg
4405 Views, 43 Replies

Bifrost Benchmark

woudn't it be cool to know how different processors perform with bifrost?!

it can help us build better pc and workstations for bifrost simulations.

I have never created a benchmark before so it may not be that good but i hope that even in it's current state it come in handy.

currently it's only for Aero, let's check it and if it was working as expected i will add mpm and instancing as well.

when you open the scene file you will see this window.

Screenshot (41).png

• at the very top you have two check box one for pausing viewport, it can help you if you don't have a powerful gpu. it's checked by default.

when you run any of the aero sims it will write a text file for you with your spec and simulation time

• if the second checkbox is enable it will remove that result file and create a new file for you everytime you run the simulaton and if you leave it off it will keep adding to same file.

after that we have 3 button each one will run a simulation.

• Explosion: a combustion test for an explosion like simulaton, it will run for 30 frame but source is only active for first 5 frame.
  • Smoke: a basic smoke with collision, simulation will run for 100 frame
  • rolling flame: a continous combustion simulation, it will run for 30 frame

after you run each simulation it will show the simulation time in the fields on the right.

----

Moderator's note: Removed the scene due to it containing the scriptJob described here. Please use the security tools for Maya. An updated version has been posted in the thread below. 

Labels (1)
43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
morteza.cg
in reply to: morteza.cg

i only have some low end cpu around to test this with. i really like to know how long it takes for more power processors to simulate these.

Asus fx502Asus fx502Surface pro 2017Surface pro 2017

Message 3 of 44
mjcg91

This is awesome, thanks for making something like this. Everyone loves benchmarking simulation. I've shared your post on the Bifrost Addicts Slack channel. If you'd like to join, I believe people will share their benchmark results: https://join.slack.com/t/bifrostaddicts/shared_invite/zt-jq7gwf53-AtAgPGWF_NPan_Tu7cfJTw

In the meantime, here are my results:

aero_benchmark.jpg

Maxime Jeanmougin - Technical Artist
https://maximejeanmougin.com

Join the Bifrost Addicts community on Discord:
https://discord.gg/bifrost-addicts
Message 4 of 44

This is a really nice benchmark tool Morteza! My personal PC config is pretty similar to yours so I guess my test results  should be close to yours. Thanks for sharing this!

Message 5 of 44
morteza.cg
in reply to: mjcg91

Thanks, I'm glad you guys liked it.

I didn't know about the Bifrost slack channel, I will join now.

Message 6 of 44
hamed_msv

Untitled-1.jpg

Xeon 2630 x 2

Message 7 of 44
tig5

Screenshot 2020-12-20 080547.jpg

What a fun tool. Thank you @morteza.cg for making this!

Message 8 of 44
cescocm
in reply to: tig5

Hello, here my results:

cescocm_0-1608505225377.png

Also, keep in mind that the scene has this this scriptJob.
I cleaned it from the .ma before opening the scene because last week we had the same issue in my workplace. I'm also attaching the cleaned .ma just in case.
Cheers!

Message 9 of 44
morteza.cg
in reply to: cescocm

Thank you for the fix!

I can't seem to edit my post, I've notified the moderator hopefully they will change my attached scene with yours.

Message 10 of 44
sachin.shrestha

@cescocm  - Holy aero smokes! That's one fast machine!

Message 11 of 44
jonah.friedman

Very cool tool (and it's very interesting to see the results too!)

I have removed the attached scene that contains the bad scriptJob though - I didn't post the updated one though as that might be taken as a verification that it's clean, which we haven't done. Feel free to accept @cescocm's post as a solution though to draw more attention to that post. Thanks! 

Jonah Friedman
Bifrost Product Manager
Message 12 of 44
mihirsbcc

I tried your scene. When I opened the scene, it gave me the famous Maya's error........ An error occurred while reading file. There will be data lost..... I ignored it. selected the Explosion tab and play the time line of 200 frames. It crashed after completing 1oo frames. I will try it again and keep an eye on it.

Message 13 of 44
mihirsbcc

Thanks for the fix

Message 14 of 44
mihirsbcc

mihir-benchmark.JPG

Message 15 of 44
tig5

Screenshot 2020-12-21 103512.jpg

Interesting.. after running Yuri's (@1usmus) CTR diognostic, I got stable figures for an undervolt/overclock and created a test profile in ryzen master. Looks like it lowered my cpu temps while shaving a few seconds off this test. Still no threadripper lol but cool if it remains stable with day long renders.

Message 16 of 44

Great initiative.

Here are the results for two other machine configurations:

benchmark_results_i7-9850H.pngbenchmark_results_XeonE5-2687W.png

I also just want to point out that there are a few ways to speed up the benchmarks and simulations in general as shown in this image:

optimizations.png

Michael Nielsen

Principal Engineer
Message 17 of 44

Thank you for the tips Michael specially the Viewport bypass processing.

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous

Thank you for this, I'm gonna try running this on my 3990X. I do have a question though, when I open the file, the benchmark window doesn't pop up, how can I get it to open?

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous

bifrost_benchmark_test.png

I have a 3990X and ran the sims, the times are above. Is there any way to script this? I'd like to run it on some other machines.

Message 20 of 44
Anonymous

Hi @michael_nielsen when I try connecting that has_property node like you show, I get an error. I think it's because the updated scene doesn't have the "found" property on the output node, but I'm probably missing something here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report