Autodesk Community Tips - AutoCAD Products
Autodesk Community Tips are bite-sized fixes, shortcuts, advice, and how-to tips shared by Community members.

Select Similar Has Settings?

Contributed by:

Todd Rogers_Tips Sample 1.png

Most of you know, and use the Select Similar command from the right-click menu.

ss.png

This is probably one of my favorite tools to use. This tools makes it quick to select similar objects in one quick command. But what is the commonality of the objects that it selects? What is the selection based on?

Did you know that there are settings for this command? YES! If you actually type the command out, SELECTSIMILAR, you will have the options to type in, or select SEttings...

se.png

Once you click on the link or type SE, a dialog box will appear that will allow you to narrow down the selection that is performed by the software.

sett.png

Now get out there and start selecting similar things!

Comments

Thanks @ToddRogers-WPM

I didnt think to look at the command line for settings 😅 Great tip

Gracias, es una herramienta muy util, lamentablemente se me deshabilito del mouse y no he podido reconfigurale

@ToddRogers-WPM This is a great tip! I use select similar all the time, but I didn't realize there were different settings for it. Thanks so much for sharing!

Great tip!

Nice tip Todd!

Great tip. Thank you for that!

Now 'Select Similar' comes close to 'Quick Select' 

Good stuff, man. It certainly isn't intuitive. 🙄

Take it to the next level and add this hack to your CUI! 
SelectSimilarBy.png

SelectSimilarBy_CUI.png

And because I'm too lazy to type commands that are inexcusably long, I created this simple shortcut:

(defun C:SS ()

(command "SELECTSIMILAR" "SE")

(princ)

)

)

You're welcome! 😀 

This settings window clearly shows how limited the set of properties for searching for similar ones is. This is of course not enough. No length, no area, no volume, no material, no texts and sizes, no attributes and parameters of blocks , almost nothing useful. I had to program my command to look for similar objects in a real complex model.

Cheers, Todd. This is great!