Autodesk Community Tips - AutoCAD Products
Autodesk Community Tips are bite-sized fixes, shortcuts, advice, and how-to tips shared by Community members.

Little Bits: Match Properties

Contributed by:

Shelby Match Prop.png

The topic for this post is Match Properties, which is by far one of my most utilized commands. Perhaps you have heard of this command, but perhaps not. The Match Properties command can be found in the Home  Properties section of the ribbon, or type MA into the command line. Refer to the image below for command location and information.

Match Properties Ribbon Location.png

The Match Properties command changes the properties of a selected object to match the destination layer. Some of the object properties that can be changed with this command include color, layer, linetype, linetype scale, lineweight, plot style, and transparency. In the example below I have two polylines drawn, one is pink with a global width applied and the other is white with no global width.

Match Properties - Two Polylines drawn in Model SpaceMatch Properties - Two Polylines drawn in Model Space

Once you have entered the MA (Match Properties) command into the command line, you can hover over the line you wish to change to see the properties that will be applied. Refer to the image below.

Match Properties Command PreviewMatch Properties Command Preview

Also notice in the command line, there are Settings available for the command. If you click on Settings or type S into the command line, the following dialog box will appear. The dialog box allows you to toggle the settings for the command, selecting the properties you wish to set as default to change with the execution of the command.

Match Properties SettingsMatch Properties Settings

This is a powerful and handy tool to change an object to be just like another object in your drawing. Once you start utilizing this command, you might not be able to stop! 

Check out the following links for some more AutoCAD Community Tips:

Little Bits: Match Layer 

Little Bits: LAYMCUR Command 

Little Bits: LAYCUR Command 

Comments

Hi @shelby_l_smith

Thank you again for the little bits! And for highlighting the often overlooked command line options! 

Matching select properties has so much potential for interesting uses!

Thanks @DanielLench_ ! This is truly one of my favorite and most used commands. It has so many applications. You can even use it to match viewport settings!!

Probably the most important EDITING Command of them all. Save a lot of time and help control drafting standards and final drawing presentation.

Probably the most important EDITING Command of them all. Save a lot of time and help control drafting standards and final drawing presentation.

@Adam_Black_CAD_Morpheus Agreed! I use it nearly every day in my work.