Autodesk Community Tips - AutoCAD Products
Autodesk Community Tips are bite-sized fixes, shortcuts, advice, and how-to tips shared by Community members.

Little Bits: Match Layer

LIttle Bits - Match Prop.png

Match Layer command changes the layer of a selected object to match the destination layer. The Match Layer command can be found in the Home ► Layers section of the ribbon, or type LAYMCH into the command line. Refer to the image below.

Match Layer - Button LocationMatch Layer - Button Location

This is a quick command to easily switch the layer of an object to the layer of another object already drawn in your project file. In addition, instead of choosing another object, you can type for Name or click on Name in the command line. Refer to the image below.

LAYMCH - Name OptionLAYMCH - Name Option

By selecting name, a new dialog window will appear. The dialog will prompt you to choose a layer from the list of layers within your drawing, as shown in the image below. 

LAYMCH - Change to Layer DialogLAYMCH - Change to Layer Dialog

Switching objects to the current layer? 

Once you have chosen the objects you want, press Enter to specify the destination. You'll be asked if you want to use the current layer, with Yes being the default option. If you confirm by pressing Enter again, your layers will be swiftly switched.

LAYMCH - Use Current LayerLAYMCH - Use Current Layer

________________________________________________________________________________

This "Little Bits" is brought to you by @shelby_l_smith and @kristina.youngblut. We collaborated to share this fun command with you!

For more layer commands and fun tips, follow the links below to other great tips and ticks!

Little Bits: LAYCUR 

Little Bits: LAYMCUR 

Little Bits: CHSPACE 

Little Bits: NCOPY 

Comments

Amazing work @shelby_l_smith @kristina.youngblut to work collaboratively on this. Looking forward to maybe seeing this collaboration more #dreamteam 

I'm pretty sure that, way back in the early 90s (Acad 10 or 11?) I wrote a very primitive AutoLisp routine that did this and other MATCHPROP type things.  None of these were commands yet, so you either coded it yourself or took the long way 'round.  Great job, both of you!  👏

Thanks @handjonathan . I definitely enjoyed this collaboration and look forward to more!

Thanks @CGBenner . I appreciate all the commands and tools that are now incorporated into the software, which were not as simple or easy to do at one time. I enjoy hearing the stories from those, like yourself, that started using the software before I did.

This saves so much time, thank you!

Sidenote: Collab post is amazing!

I was so inspired by this post and collaboration. I'm excited to explore this again and future opportunities. 

@CGBenner i remember the weird scripts and processes i had to implement for automation. Things are so much easier then even 15 years ago!! This is one reason I have a legend in my files with defined locations. 

@kristina.youngblut 

Remember DEISEL strings in your digitizer menu, sometimes running compound commands?  This was even before I learned what little LISP I managed to learn.

CGBenner_0-1679497184165.jpeg

This wasn't taught to me, and I didn't stumble into it until about 2004. I spent some time exploring but ended up with a programmer who built tools for me. I was pretty spoiled.