Autodesk Community Tips - AutoCAD Products
Autodesk Community Tips are bite-sized fixes, shortcuts, advice, and how-to tips shared by Community members.

Little Bits: Change Space

Contributed by:

Tips & Tricks Banner White - V1.0 - Change Space.png

Have you ever been working hard on a project, deep into concentration, then realized you were adding your labels in paper space versus the model space of your viewport? Or perhaps you created a new block to represent something unique on your project, but now you need to add it to the legend.  Both of these scenarios can be solved with the change space command.

If you are unfamiliar with the change space command, it can convert objects and labels from model space to paper space or from paper space to model space. The objects and labels will automatically scale to match the annotation scale. Some items and annotations do not work as well as others, for example, dimensions will disassociate when converted with the change space command.

The command can be found on the Home ► Modify ribbon.

Change Space Ribbon LocationChange Space Ribbon Location

If you prefer command line inputs versus buttons on the ribbon, change space can be launched by typing chspace into the command line, as noted in the image above.

Whether the object you have is in paper space or model space, the command will prompt you to set the target viewport as active and press Enter to continue. In the example below, the multileader has been drawn in paper space and it is transitioned to the viewport.

Set Target Viewport.Set Target Viewport.

Sometimes though, things do not go as planned. If you run the command and instead of seeing the multileader change space, you see the following image without anything in the area, the annotation scale may be to blame. As you can see in the command line of the following image, the command has been completed, however, the multileader is not visible.

Command Complete - No Leader VisibleCommand Complete - No Leader Visible

The next step is to undo (ctrl+z) the chspace command and check the annotation scale. Once the object is visible again, in this case the multileader, right click to edit the annotation scale. Select Annotative Object Scale ► Add/Delete Scales to add or remove the model space annotation scale to the scales list, as shown in the images below. Do not remove the paper space annotation scale though, or it will disappear before you can change space again.

Add/Delete ScalesAdd/Delete Scales      Annotation Object ScaleAnnotation Object Scale

Comments

Great tip @shelby_l_smith Thank you for sharing 

@shelby_l_smith, If we could love posts ❤️, I would love this one ❤️. CHSPACE is one of my absolute favorite commands, and I teach it internally as often as possible. Thanks!!

@DanielLench_ Thanks! It is one of my favorite commands too! I use it all the time 🙂

@shelby_l_smith, I love chspace too. I love that entities get scaled. Great when I need to create Legends in paper space. Sometimes I need to move info from a Legend back to model, so back and forth. Very happy when the command was added 😊