Autodesk Access Forum
Welcome to Autodesk Access Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Access topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Access - failure

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jeff_howard1
1314 Views, 13 Replies

Autodesk Access - failure

The new version of the Autodesk Desktop app or "Autodesk Access" is a huge failure in my mind.  The application was intended to allow users to install updates to keep their programs up to date.  Autodesk states in the release notes that is design with the IT admins in mind.  Yet Autodesk removes the options to install software and still requires users to have local admin rights to install updates.  Most admins do not allow local users to have the ability to install ANY software as its generally considered a security risk.  

Autodesk needs to take a look at what Adobe has done with their Adobe Creative cloud application.  Once it is installed by an administrator it allows the local user to install assigned software and updates as needed.  Just like Autodesk Access, Adobe has created registry keys to either allow or disable the ability of local users from updating software if updates are handled in a managed environment.

Autodesk needs to get their act together and make installing and managing updates easier not harder.

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jeff_howard1
in reply to: jeff_howard1

I have been working on installing Autodesk software on some new computers over the last few days.  I have been growing more and more disappointed in the Autodesk Access application.  it's gotten to the point that I really don't think Autodesk did any bata testing on this software.  Here is what I have found so far.  I have rebooted the computer several times after the install and signing into my Autodesk account and still no updates are presented in the Autodesk Access application.

• Singing into Autodesk access no longer signs you into the any of the other Autodesk software and you are still asked to sign into your subscription when you open any of the main software.  I don't know if this is by design or no.
  • The display of available updates are not reliable.  after installing the original versions of the software, no upgrade options are presented.
  • There is no manually feature to have the software check for updates.  The previous version "Desktop application" had an option for look for updates.

I have already started a support case with our Autodesk retailer, but as this software has just been released, they are grasping at straws to troubleshoot the issues

Screenshot 2023-04-18 084740.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Message 3 of 14
Simon_Weel

I wouldn't bother with AA for the time being. As stated it's work in progress. As for beta testing, the current policy for many software vendors is to have the user do the testing. Take Windows for example.

As for signing into AA, I have the opposite experience? I use different accounts to manage software and to actually use the software. The management account doesn't have any products assigned, and if I sign into AA with that account, I get kicked from any running applications....

Message 4 of 14

Hi @jeff_howard1 and others, thanks for the feedback.  Catching up on threads here.

Jeff, are you still not seeing updates for AutoCAD 2023?  It can take a few minutes to show updates, and it checks automatically.

• 2024 products and Access use a new identity system that requires a separate login from 2023 and earlier products.  It’s not specifically related to Access, but to the new login system.
  • Allowing users to bypass Windows restrictions on installing software to install Autodesk updates is feedback we often hear and are working on.  After we implement this, we’ll likely hear the opposite feedback asking why we would bypass Windows restrictions and allow users to install updates. 😕

Danny Polkinhorn
Sr. Product Manager
Message 5 of 14

I know one way to fix the whole thing.  😉

Create MSI based installers and updates.  But I know that creates other issues and complications.

I only speak from my experiences over the last 20 years of managing Autodesk software on our network.  Everyone's environment is different, and they have different methods of managing software.

The whole process does need to be improved so deployments and updates are as easy to push out as possible.

The more our staff works outside of our office, getting time to make updates and deploy new software gets harder to schedule.  The size of the installers doesn't help either.

Message 6 of 14

Hi Jeff,

We just released Access 2.6.  Now, admins can give users permission to self-install updates from Autodesk Access, providing important software updates while reducing reliance on you and preserving network security.  Check out our help documentation, and download the new version from here.

Thanks for the feedback also!

-Danny

Danny Polkinhorn
Sr. Product Manager
Message 7 of 14

Even with Access 2.6 and the proper registry key in place, nearly half of my end users cannot update their software without a "permission required" error.  This is frustrating to say the least.  We pushed that out to 5 separate PC's as a BETA test and they all worked and then we made it a firmwide change.  This has not worked as described.  Are there updates coming to help ensure this will work at any machine?

Message 8 of 14
jeff_howard1
in reply to: gduperryCES

I totally agree with you.  Autodesk keeps saying they are making improvements on how admins can manage the installs of their software, but there is a huge lake of documentation and follow up on Autodesk's end. 

Message 9 of 14
Simon_Weel

Like I said earlier - don't bother using AA. It's a waste of time. No doubt there will be a version 3 sometime. Remains to be seen what that has to offer. In the mean time, resort on others methods to install updates. In my case, I use the Windows domain Shutdown script to install updates. And for most updates, this works ok.

Message 10 of 14

@gduperryCES @jeff_howard1   What products are you having issues with? 

There are two cases where installing in the system context will not work:

1. The update installer is a full product installer.  3ds Max, Maya and many of the EMS products are like this.  We will support these in a future update.
  2. The product is using our older installation technology.  There are some 2022 products that had this, so those updates.

Danny Polkinhorn
Sr. Product Manager
Message 11 of 14

@danny.polkinhorn
At our frum we use most of the AEC products. Revit, AutoCAD, Recap etc.. The only reliable way that we have been able to push out updates is via local server-based scrips. That requires the end user's computer to either be in the office or connected to the VPN for an extended time that they are not using the computer. This is like heading cats in a tornado. Since Autodesk Access already has access to product updates, why not just add an optional scheduled maintenance cycle that can be set either weekly or monthly via a registry key. Then all installed software will get the lates updates on a regular basis.
Registry keys are something that are easily modified by GPO or script and if an update comes out that admin want to wait on, they can easily change the or remove the schedule until they have done there testing.
Message 12 of 14

This is happening with Revit 2022, 2023 and 2024.  It is also happening with other needed updates to items Like Real DWG 2024 and some of the security updates as well.  These machines are all created from the same image and half work and half don't.  It makes NO sense.  170 PC's to update and this will not do.

Message 13 of 14
pendean

@gduperryCES wrote:

...It makes NO sense...

This underwhelming tool that replaced a security-prone underwhelming older iteration (that replaced an earlier dysfunctional tool) will not update itself (ironic?) often enough to be even remotely useful, so if anyone is still married to it, you probably ought to update it manually from the link below before using it

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-access/overview  

https://emsfs.autodesk.com/utility/access/1/installer/latest/AdAccess-installer.exe 

All the guidance above to update the software are still 100% valid and way better IMHO as well.

Message 14 of 14
Simon_Weel

With that many machines, I guess you need some kind of management tools like Intune and / or patch management stuff.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report