AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom north arrow

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
MONTECINOS
554 Views, 9 Replies

custom north arrow

Good morning,

I have created a custom block to use it as a North Arrow in Plant 3D Isometrics, but i don´t know how to convert it in north arrow and give to it the properties of a North Arrow, make it recognizable for the programm and selectable.

I hope ananybody could help me, i searched information in internet and there is just a few.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
h_eger
in reply to: MONTECINOS

Dear @MONTECINOS ,

You can change the block of the north arrow. This block is a dynamic block, please change it with the same name and the same switching points.

28-02-_2023_12-33-48.jpg

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
MONTECINOS
in reply to: h_eger

Hi Harmut,

Thanks for answering.

You say that i can change the block, but ¿How?

I inserted a new block, then i have to deal with the VisibilityStates to create different pointing directions to this arrow, but ¿How can i do to the programm understands that this is the new arrow?

The image that you attached, in properties tool palette, the dropdownlist of NorthArrowDirection is different than the image that i´ve attached.

Message 4 of 10
Michiel.Valcke

The north arrow block is saved in the Iso.dwt template for your iso style. 

When editing the Title block (Project Setup -> Isometric DWG Settings -> Title Block and Display -> Setup Title Block)

Use the Bedit command to change the NorthArrow definition. You can replace all the existing geometry with other geometry, (do this for each visibility state). You can use the copybase command to copy existing geometry into your block.

MichielValcke_0-1677596122391.pngMichielValcke_1-1677596179456.png

The visibility parameter, names, etc... you can leave unchanged and everything will work perfectly

Message 5 of 10
MONTECINOS
in reply to: Michiel.Valcke

Good morning Michiel.Valcke,

Thanks for answering.

I have already drawn a block to use as North Arrow with the shape that i require.

At the moment of clicking in the existing North Arrow, then select the option "Edit Block", when i´m inside, ¿Is it recommended to delete the North Arrow which is in the programm by default, then insert my custom North Arrow block and to put it in the place where was the old one? or ¿Is it recommended to modify the default North Arrow and give to it the desire shape that i want?

Message 6 of 10
Michiel.Valcke

If you already have a block definition to use, make sure your block, the visibility parameter and each visibility state is named exactly as the original block from Plant 3D. Then insert your block into the Iso.dwt and choose to redefine the block definition. That should work just as well as doing a delete/purge and re-insert. But since it is so easy to make a small mistake in the naming convention. I have found it easier to just edit the existing block and not touch the naming of any of the above. I also find it easier this way to make sure that the size of my northarrow is consistent.

Conversely you could also open your new block (BEDIT) in a separate AutoCAD session and open the original NorthArrow in another as described above. Use copybase on each visibility state to copy your new geometry into the original block definition.

Message 7 of 10
MONTECINOS

Thank you very much Michiel.Valcke, now is more clear to me what to do, i´m going to do the way you recommend it in the last paragraph of your messagge, it sound a safe way to carry out the process

Message 8 of 10
MONTECINOS

Now raised in my a doubt, if i do the process to modify the default North Arrow block, ¿The different formats as Check-A2, Final-A3 and so on are going to be affected because all these formats use the same North Arrow block or it´s going to be affected only the format that i´m modifiying?

Message 9 of 10
Michiel.Valcke

Each style has its own iso.dwt so each style has its own North Arrow block.

Message 10 of 10
MONTECINOS

Agreed, so as i know this now i can do confidently the process to modify the North Arrow

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report