AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a project with SQL Lite

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Stormbr
1207 Views, 11 Replies

Copy a project with SQL Lite

I know how to create a project from a template. If I do that and copy drawings, the ortho drawings do not link to the models. If I copy the entire folder to a new location I understand the links are to the original files and any changes happen to the original drawings, not what I want. Is there a method of duplicating a project and changing the links to point to the new models? I have seen the article on how to rename the project. I am using a standalone workstation with SQL Lite.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
FTSRoann
in reply to: Stormbr

Dear Stormbr,

I found an article that might be able to assist you with your question. Please follow the link bellow. 

AutoCAD Plant 3D: How to create a SQLite project from an existing SQL Server project

Please let me know if the suggestion provided did assist you solving the issue. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind Regards,

Roann Knight
www.autodesk.com

Message 3 of 12
Stormbr
in reply to: FTSRoann

We are trying to copy sqllite to sqllite projects. We are not going to Sql Server. I think I found a solution using Sql Explorer if I cna get that to work properly.
Message 4 of 12
FTSRoann

Dear Stormbr,

I apologize I miss understood. Did you manage to solve the problem? I just wanted to follow up witn you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind Regards,

Roann Knight
www.autodesk.com

Message 5 of 12
Stormbr
in reply to: FTSRoann

Thank Roann but I haven't managed to make the Sql Explorer to work despite following the directions. Downloading the .DLL didn't help, but maybe I have the wrong one. I have renamed all the project names in the XML files but opening the project puts the original project name back in. I understand the names have to change in the .DCF but I have been able to do that so far. So far, it appers simply copying the project to another folder has worked without inimic effects on the original project. I have made changes in the second project without it making changes in the original project, or I should say I have not noticed any changes. Since they are identical projects, changes in the second affecting the first wouldn't be a bad thing.
Message 6 of 12
scott.a.green

@Stormbr,

I think this is closer to what you are looking for:

How to migrate an AutoCAD Plant 3D project from SQLite to SQL Server or SQL Express

..."Running the PnPProjectMaintenance.exe file will convert a project from the default database (SQLite) to SQL Express or SQL Server. You can also copy or move a SQL Server database to a different database name or server."

Hope that is more in line with what you are looking for. You should be able to copy the database over using this method. 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 7 of 12
Stormbr
in reply to: scott.a.green

Thanks Scott but I have seen that link and it doesn't work SqLite to SqLite. I tried it and it doesn't like the SqLite file. I am not migrating either. I need to duplicate a project that uses the SqLite for standalone and make sure the tables point to the right projects. So far I haven't had to change anything in a model so the ortho drawings are not a problem. I can change tables in orthos because they are not linked to the model. I read the SQL Explorer can be used to change the DCF files so they have the correct project name. I need to copy Project A to Project B, but the Project B still says it is Project A. I can change the XMLs to read Project B but opening Project B makes the names reset back to Project A. The DCFs still keep Project A as the name.
Message 8 of 12
scott.a.green

@Stormbr,

Have you seen this?

How to rename a project in AutoCAD Plant 3D respectively AutoCAD P&ID

This should allow you to copy the project under a different name - you would need to change these .dcf files:

• piping.dcf
  • processpower.dcf

It could also be a limitation of SQLite. I typically use SQL Server or Vault. 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 9 of 12
Stormbr

That looks like what I saw for copying & duplicating. I hope this solves issues with links to original files.
Message 10 of 12
scott.a.green

@Stormbr,

One last thing, creating a NEW project off of the old one and moving over the drawing to the P3D project folder would create a new database and would probably result in less issues along the road rather than copying over the database directly. 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 11 of 12
Stormbr

Thanks again Scott That is the proper method but you have to recreate all the ortho drwings. With custom BOMs it makes it much longer. What I found with copying an entire folder over is that you get all files but the views are not connected. You can't edit viewports. As long as there are no changes to the model then everything is ok. I am doubting renaming everything properly will fix that issue. I haven't checked if naming each view would help so you can load those ortho cubes. I am assuming that the SQLite is used to create the BOM behind the scences but I wonder if it's used for linking the views as well. I have writtenin SQL so I know how it works. Being on a standalone I didn't think it was worth going to SQL Server.
Message 12 of 12
Stormbr

Many more thanks Scott, this works like a charm. The names are correct and the viewports are editable. I have not changed the model to see if the viewports update but everything looks right now. Viewports are now linked to views.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta