AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMTS - WMS Commotion help

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
AllenJessup
2651 Views, 43 Replies

WMTS - WMS Commotion help

I've never tried to establish this type of connection before. We've contracted with a company to provide aerial photos. They're mostly concentrating on ESRI products but they have given me some URLs to use.  I found out I have to connect through out proxy server. After I set that up it seemed to work a bit. When I connect it changes the drawing coordinate setting to match the data. However I haven’t gotten anything to display yet.  I can't click on the group in the Task Pane. I'll admit I'm a bit lost at this point. @Pointdump @ChicagoLooper If you have any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

BTW. Since this is a paid for service. I've masked that info.

Connectioin WMTS.jpg

Results.jpg

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

43 REPLIES 43
Message 21 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: Pointdump

Worked with no Issues.

AllenJessup_0-1692383711563.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 44
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: AllenJessup

I was able to connect too.

Image-1Image-1

Zoomed-in around Austin.

Image-2Image-2

BTW, that's a first for me.......connecting to a REST service. WMTS and WMS yes, but REST never, until now. If I remember correctly, I connected to WFS once but don't remember which connection.

Below in same general area of Austin using WMS from USGS. Their service endpoints can be found >>HERE<<.

I used Theme Overlays=>National Hydrography Dataset. I could NOT connect to their REST service.

Image-3Image-3

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 23 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

You can try this one if you want.

https://svc.pictometry.com/Image/6FEC0865-BD41-5BD0-3AAB-24B4E8C6FEF2/wmts

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 24 of 44
ChicagoLooper

Hi @AllenJessup 

I can't connect in Cad but I can using Global Mapper.

301.PNG 

The image above indicates good WMTS but only for non-Acad programs. The connection @Pointdump provided in his previous post was a REST service which I believe is different from WMTS, notice the 'REST' in the url.

201.png 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 25 of 44
AllenJessup

@ChicagoLooper 

So it looks like you're having a similar issue to mine. I could connect in QGIS but not CAD before the reset.

I'm not going to ask you to reset the program to find out. But it's something to keep in mind.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 26 of 44
AllenJessup

@ChicagoLooper 

This connection is more aligned with ESRI in mind. But once I did the reset. I can connect without issue.

AllenJessup_0-1692391534601.png

BTW. Have a good weekend.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 27 of 44
Pointdump

Hi @ChicagoLooper,
I found a WMTS URL that is not REST:
https://services.sanborn.com/geo_caches/312021386_Solano_County_Oblique/wmts.xml
Dave

WMTS_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 28 of 44
AllenJessup

@Pointdump 

Hi Dave,

Now you're complicating things. I can't connect to that. But I get this helpful little triangle.

AllenJessup_0-1692620410990.png

After connecting I always get.

AllenJessup_0-1692620878381.png

Yet I have to disconnect it in order to delete it.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 29 of 44
Pointdump

The dreaded yellow exclamation triangle!

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 30 of 44
AllenJessup

And now the connection that I had wanted doesn't work. 😒

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 31 of 44
AllenJessup

I've found out that in order to make the connection I have to start from a drawing that was started with no template and use the default <<C3D_Imperial>> workspace. Restoring any of my customization will not allow the connection to function.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 32 of 44
Pointdump

You're closer to the solution. You just need to figure out which part of your customization is bolluxing things up.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 33 of 44
AllenJessup

Yeah. It's strange though. I really hadn't restored that much of my customization. I'd just opened and positioned som pallets and toolbars. I'll have to look at what's being pulled off the server.

Our Surveyor had the same issues. But he shares little customization with me.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 34 of 44
AllenJessup

I finally found it. At least in my case. I narrowed it down to my profile, Profiles tab in Options. I recreated the profile step by step until I broke it. Of course it was literally the last path I reset. What I found is:

If the Temporary External Reference File Location path is changed. I can't connect to the WMTS. It doesn't seem to matter where it's pathed. If it's not the default, the connection doesn't work.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 35 of 44
braudpat

Hello @AllenJessup 

THANKS for your beautiful work ... 

You have found the DEATH parameter for WMS/WFS/WMTS of ACAD MAP / CIVIL 202X !

We must absolutely let this DEFAULT Parameter for XREF Temporary Files !

C:\Users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\temp    --   With "xxxxxx" is your Login Windows Name

No Comment about Autodesk, it's better !!

THE HEALTH, Bye, Patrice (The Old French EE Froggy)

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 36 of 44
AllenJessup

This morning I verified the behavior. I set the Temporary External Reference File Location to three different non-default locations and it failed each time. I set it back to the default and it worked again.

I also tested it in 2022 and got the same result. So it’s definitely what’s happening with my setup in two different releases.

If anyone wanted to test it on their system. I'd be interested to hear the results.

I'm still in contact with Autodesk Support on this subject. I'd like to be able to confirm this is an intrinsic problem with the software.

Thanks.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 37 of 44
AllenJessup

Further and (Hopefully) final update.

I've still been working with Autodesk Support. He found that whatever path is set for the Temporary External Reference File Location the user has to have Full Control set in permissions for that folder.

I had IT give me Full Control over the 3 folders testing failed with this morning and it works with them now. Set another path to a folder I didn't have Full Control over and it failed.

I'm calling this finally solved.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 38 of 44
braudpat

Hello @AllenJessup 

Waouh it s funny / curious !

Because I have done tests with MAP 2023 / 2022 on my Win 10 PC

with 2 different Logins and BOTH Logins are LOCAL Admin (My PC is alone - No Network - No Domain Network) !

So this means that a LOCAL Admin (or Standard User) has FULL Rights

into "C:\Users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\temp" - OK for Me !

And NOT into a other Folder that I have created (with the Same Login) like "C:\TEMP_ACAD"

OK I wil add "Full Control" to my "C:\TEMP_ACAD" and will do again the tests ...

With MAPOPTIONS and the Tab "System", there is a specific Folder for the MAP temporary files !

So why the WMS / WFS / WMTS FDO drivers don't use this SPECIFIC Folder ???

Again THANKS for your effort, Bye, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 39 of 44
AllenJessup

One more thing. This (theoretically) will only happen if the program isn't being run as an Admin. One of the things that contributed to the time it took to diagnose. Autodesk Support wasn't able to duplicate my problem when repathing because they were running as an Admin.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 40 of 44
ChicagoLooper

Hi @AllenJessup

I left the Temp folder as is. Also, did not change the Admin rights, the Admin rights remain the same.

But I switched my profile to this  out of the box GENERIC one.

401.PNG

Then connected to the WMTS and got this.

402.PNG

The bad thing is I can't zoom-in without the map disappearing. Global Mapper works fine, but when using M3D, I have to stay zoomed-out!!

WMTS with Bing aerial imagery in the background.

403.PNG

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report