AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMTS - WMS Commotion help

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
AllenJessup
2308 Views, 43 Replies

WMTS - WMS Commotion help

I've never tried to establish this type of connection before. We've contracted with a company to provide aerial photos. They're mostly concentrating on ESRI products but they have given me some URLs to use.  I found out I have to connect through out proxy server. After I set that up it seemed to work a bit. When I connect it changes the drawing coordinate setting to match the data. However I haven’t gotten anything to display yet.  I can't click on the group in the Task Pane. I'll admit I'm a bit lost at this point. @Pointdump @ChicagoLooper If you have any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

BTW. Since this is a paid for service. I've masked that info.

Connectioin WMTS.jpg

Results.jpg

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
Pointdump
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen,
WMTS has always been hit-or-miss with me. More miss than hit.
"...changes the drawing coordinate setting to match the data."
That doesn't sound good, unless you hadn't already assigned a coordinate system to your drawing. Then it's as expected.
@ChicagoLooper will probably know just what to do.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave,

The drawing should have had a coordinate system assigned. But I didn't check before I started.

OOPS. It wouldn't have had one set. Qnew wasn't set to our template.

BTW. I can connect through QGIS with no problem.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 44
ChicagoLooper

Hi @AllenJessup   

<<….When I connect it changes the drawing coordinate setting to match the data…>>

What does that mean?  Does it mean if you assign State Plane the WMTS changes it to WGS.PseudoMercator (EPSG 3857)? 

I agree with @Pointdump, WMTS connections in AutoCAD are flaky.

Even when successfully connecting to one, the resolution is lousy and makes a drawing ugly. It seems to take forever to refresh so you end up waiting, taking lots and lots of coffee breaks in the meantime, then you can’t sleep at night. I hate when that happens, don’t you?

As far as changing your drawing’s CS, I’ve never seen that, ever.

I have, however, seen a geospatial connection guess as to what its own native CS is (and guess incorrectly, SMH) so I must overwrite that incorrect CS by using ‘Edit Coordinate Systems’ button.   

If you ‘haven’t gotten anything to display yet’ I suspect AutoCAD is unable to make a good connection and that’s not your fault, it’s AutoCAD’s. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 5 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper wrote: 

<<….When I connect it changes the drawing coordinate setting to match the data…>>

What does that mean? 

What happened it that I didn't have the QNew set to our template. So when I opened a new drawing there was no coordinate system assigned. After I connected to the WMTS server. The drawing took on the coordinate system of the data.

I'm disappointed that this isn't working. I was hoping to avoid storing all the aerials for the County locally. We're flying yearly now and that's a lot of data. I'm going to try and work with the supplier on this. But I'm not hopeful.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 44
ChicagoLooper

@AllenJessup 

If you CAN connect using QGIS, then it's not the Host server because it's able to deliver data. It's not YOUR computer either because your computer 'sees' the data when using QGIS. It's not YOUR FIRM'S security fire wall because you've already demonstrated the data is able to come through.

That leaves AutoCAD. He can't, or is unwilling, to allow a connection to the host server. And without a usable connection, you're hosed. Find a way for AutoCAD to establish communication (maybe with your IT's help) and you're in business. Otherwise you're out of luck.

Sad situation, I know. I really feel your pain, but AutoCAD doesn't always play nice with others.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 44
AllenJessup

@ChicagoLooper 

I totally agree with everything you said. Unfortunately the firm supplying the data doesn't have any experience with Autodesk products. I'm going to try our IT dept and see if they have an opinion on it.

Thank you.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 44
AllenJessup

Update. I've been working with our IT department. It looks like the images are hosted on AWS (Amazon). The only way to connect is through our proxy server and it look like Autodesk isn't using or fully using the proxy. I've started a support case.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 44
AllenJessup

I just got off the phone with support. No progress. He can connect to the WMTS server and see the image I want. I can't.

His opinion: It's a problem with our proxy server. I can see why it would look that way.

Our IT's opinion: Nothing  is being blocked during the connection. 

I can connect using an open source GIS program, QGIS, with no problem. So it isn't having an issue with our proxy or firewall.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 44
Valentin-WSP

@AllenJessup .

@AllenJessup wrote:

... They're mostly concentrating on ESRI products but they have given me some URLs to use. ...

Maybe the ArcGIS for AutoCAD (Download) "Add Data by URL" feature will work.

ValentinWSP_0-1691786476225.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 11 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

@Valentin-WSP 

Thanks for the idea. I'll try it on Monday.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 44
ChicagoLooper

I’ve tried connecting to WMTS using URL on various occasions. I know the result.

I await yours. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 13 of 44
AllenJessup

I've been out for a couple of days.

Right now it boils down to our IT Dept. saying the Autodesk software isn't hitting our proxy server correctly. Some is trying to go out directly through ou firewall and being blocked.

I'm working with Autodesk but doubt there will be a solution.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 44
ChicagoLooper

Hi @AllenJessup 

When your IT Dept. says, 'Autodesk software isn't hitting our proxy server correctly,' I have a feeling it's not limited to just the WMTS connection you're trying to access. I believe it's just the tip, or one of the tips, of the proverbial iceberg. 

Other GIS-esy programs connect without issue, but for some reason, Autodesk cannot.

This is a major problem, one I believe Autodesk can resolve given their resources and know how. Where players in the geospatial graphic industry forge ahead easily connecting to online data, Autodesk stumbles. They should invest time and fix this, even if only one connection at a time.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 15 of 44
AllenJessup
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

@Valentin-WSP 

I got the plugin installed. No luck.

AllenJessup_0-1692199956522.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 44
AllenJessup

Autodesk support fixed the issue by resetting the profile and resetting the program settings to default. 

A bit painful but at least I have the connection I needed.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 44
ChicagoLooper

Hi @AllenJessup 

Congrats on getting Autodesk to respond.

Just so I understand, Autodesk support fixed your specific WMTS connection? Or did they fix it so you'll be able to connect to any ol' WMTS? And will resetting program back to defaults and resetting user profile work for everyone, or just you?.....just curious.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 18 of 44
AllenJessup

@ChicagoLooper 

I wish I knew so I could tell you. I've never connected to a WMTS server before and don't have any other URL's to try.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 44
AllenJessup

I'll add this. When working with support one of the suggestions was that the issue might be caused by insufficient rights the the TEMP file. I don't keep the temp files in the default folder. Testing proved that wasn't the case in my instance.

Our Surveyor couldn't establish a connection either. I found out that he could if he started a drawing with no template. So the problem could have been in the template. The Surveying template is different than the Engineering template. As far as I know they were from different sources. Our Surveyor started with a template given by a trainer. I started the Engineering template from the _Autodesk Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS template. Also our Surveyor is still on 2022.

I just tried both the Engineering template and the _Autodesk Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS template in 2022 and can't connect with either of them. So my conclusion is there was some intrinsic error in the installation that resettings the settings to default fixes. Best guess right now.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 20 of 44
Pointdump

Hi Allen,
"...don't have any other URL's to try."
Here's one I found:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Vegetation_Mapping/Texas_Ecological_Mapping_Systems_Data...
Dave

WMTS_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report