AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to import kmz files into autocad map 3d 2022

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rodrigo.nemer
2692 Views, 8 Replies

What is the best way to import kmz files into autocad map 3d 2022

When I use mapimport to import kmz files, sometimes I have issues with scale. And the weird part is that some components seem to have the right measurements when compared to the google earth file, but others not. I'm not sure if its a problem of units selected in the autocad or something else. 

I've been researching about this for a while, and I couldn't find a definitive solution for the problem.

Labels (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: rodrigo.nemer

Hi Rodrigo,
More details please. A screen shot of the problem, and maybe post your KMZ.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave. I tried to post but it says that "the file type (.kmz) is not supported". So I'm sharing two images attached of the steps I take to import google earth files.

Usually, I receive kmz files from customers. And I need to transfer the information to Autocad in order to prepare layouts. This is a real example of an issue that im having at the moment. In the image attached named "Step 3", measurements in yellow are right, but measurements in blue are wrong. I didn't check all of them, but it looks like vertical lines are correct, and horizontal lines are not.

I'm pretty much working with the mapimport function. But it doesn't seem this is working. Its not the first or second time that i'm facing a similar problem. Let me know if this makes sense or not.

Thanks

Rodrigo

Message 4 of 9
Pointdump

Rodrigo,
Forum will accept most formats if you Zip. In your Step 2 screen shot there's no coordinate system assigned.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 9
rodrigo.nemer
in reply to: Pointdump

Ok David. 100% of times that's how they are when I import kmz files...without a coordinate system. Is this an issue for scale?

Message 6 of 9
Pointdump

Rodrigo,
"Is this an issue for scale?"
Yes. Your KMZ is in Degree Units. Without assigning a Coordinate System to your drawing, Map 3D thinks 1 degree = 1 drawing unit. Try assigning NAD83/Florida East(ftUS) to your drawing and see if that helps.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 9

@rodrigo.nemer wrote:

<<without a coordinate system. Is this an issue for scale?>>

Yes. Assign a coordinate system, it’s cricial to have one assigned before using MAPIMPORT.  

The coordinate system you choose is based on two factors: (1) the geographical location of your site and (2) your intentions for the map once the import has been completed. Consider both factors when choosing. 

I’m guessing when I say your kml was originally drawn in ‘another format.’ The author simply put it in kml format so you and others would be able to open, view and analyze geospatial data without too much fuss. The kml format is his way of attaching training wheels to his data. Since you are using Map3D, you don’t need those training wheels because M3D is a geospatial capable program.

Would it be possible to ask the original author what the original format was used? It’s likely you’ll be able to import (or add using an FDO connection) that data directly making it unnecessary to use kml training wheels.

You are using MAPIMPORT to add geospatial line work to your drawing while using Map3D so you are effectively taking those training wheels off. Why must the author put them on in the first place? 

Chicagolooper
Message 8 of 9

That worked perfect guys. Thanks a lot. I've assigned a coordinate system and it imported with the right scale. I'm pretty sure that this was the first time this happened. Amazing.

Do you mind answering two other questions?

1. For every location, there are multiple different options of coordinate systems. In case of projects in US, it is really easy to google and find what looks to be the right one. But I also work in countries where information is not so easy to dig. If I select an old coordinate system, for example, is this going to impact the scale of the drawing?
  2. Most of the google earth files have different "layers" to indicate what means each line. Is it possible to import all the different names or will it always be imported as single layer called "Placemark"?
Message 9 of 9
Pointdump

Rodrigo,
"Is it possible to import all the different names or will it always be imported as single layer called 'Placemark'?"
With Shapefiles you can put everything on different layers, but with a KMZ I've only been able to get, like you, "Placemark". Maybe @ChicagoLooper knows a way.
As for coordinate system, normally the client dictates that. Map 3D is amazingly versatile in transforming between coordinate systems.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta