AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS MasterMap Topography - How to add styling to tiles provided by OS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
douglas.grantAVXGB
503 Views, 6 Replies

OS MasterMap Topography - How to add styling to tiles provided by OS

Hi, 

I have an old OS MasterMap Topography drawing that is now out of date. I have got an updated MasterMap from OS and it doesn't have the areas etc coloured in like the previous version.  I've attached a screenshot of the new version I have but coloured everything in grey as it came with everything being back and unable to see it. 

Is there an easy way to update everything so that the grass areas are green, roads grey etc? Without going through every polygon and changing its colour? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

douglasgrantAVXGB_0-1700135994645.png

douglasgrantAVXGB_1-1700136495843.png

Tags (1)
Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Can you share with us your AutoCAD session's ABOUT command pop-up as a screenshot please.
Message 3 of 7

Is this what you're looking for?

douglasgrantAVXGB_0-1700146348334.png

Message 4 of 7

@douglas.grantAVXGB Thanks for the screenhot: while you wait... You have some updates to install

https://manage.autodesk.com/products/MAP?version=2021&platform=WIN64&language=EINT

pendean_0-1700146992170.png

Message 5 of 7

Hi @douglas.grantAVXGB 

What did you download from OS MasterMap? gml? dwg? dxf?

Would it be possible to upload the 'gray area' shown in your opening post? I'm thinking gml format will have data that can be used to colorize your map. Uploading a sample for troubleshooting is the most efficient way to provide a step-by-step workflow.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

They were all sent over as .gz files. 

I've attached one of the tile files. You'll just need to change the colour of all to grey to get the same as my screenshot.

Below is also a screenshot of the menu I get when i first click to bring in the file. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the import properties section but I'm obviously not sure.

douglasgrantAVXGB_1-1700151169763.png

Message 7 of 7

Hi @douglas.grantAVXGB 

Thanks for uploading your gz file. Glasgow, correct?

Bad news: the data in the gz isn't 'organized' like I had expected. Good news: the task can still be accomplished. Attached are 8 steps illustrating how you can do it. Follow the instructions without adding or skipping any steps. If you combine the steps below with another workflow, you may have issues. Major issues, so be careful.

If you complete all steps as shown, you may or may not, go back and customize the layers and objects to the way you really want. The key is to complete all steps as shown--don't try to customize before completing all the steps.

1. Open a clean, brand-new drawing and assign the appropriate coordinate system.

Image-1Image-1

2. Define your area so you won't have to bring in data you'll never use. You only want to bring in linework you'll actually use because if you bring in too much, your drawing will have a lot of lag, which is irritating. Use your original drawing as a guild when defining your area.

Image-2Image-2

3. To verify whether your gz file inserts to the correct geospatial area in modelspace, go to Geolocation Tab=>Online Map Panel=>Then change Map OFF to Map AERIAL. 

Image-3Image-3

4. Next, use MAPIMPORT command to import your gz file. Make your settings as shown below. 

Image-4Image-4

5. Override the color of the imported linework. 

Image-5Image-5

6. If you performed the MapImport procedure correctly, you'll end up with the layers shown below (refer to Properties Palette below). You don't need to hatch the individual polygons. You can, however, hatch them enmasse on a layer-by-layer basis.  

Image-6Image-6

7. Next, you'll need to perform MAPIMPORT again so you can add the building footprints. (If the data in the gz was organize nicely, this specific step wouldn't be necessary.) Step 7 is similar to Step 4. After MapImport, FREEZE all the imported layers except for BUILDING layer. Next, hatch all the newly imported building footprints.

Image-7Image-7

8. This is the final step. It's optional but recommended because it'll CLEANUP the Layer Properties Manager and eliminate any EXTRA FROZEN STUFF brought in during both MapImport procedures. (If the gz data was organized better, this step might not be necessary.) 

Image-8Image-8 

You may, if you wish, go back and fine tune the drawing, e.g. draw order, missing hatch, layer colors, etc.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report