AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Radians to Feet

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rlindsey8PJ57
271 Views, 4 Replies

Converting Radians to Feet

Hello All - I've got a puzzling one here as I have a file where it looks like all of the lines have been drawn in radians and I need them to be in feet so I can properly geo-reference the file to the state plane zone where this project is and export some shapefiles for our GIS team.

This is a fiber design map with utility poles and strands where there is a footage measurement on every strand between the poles. So, there is at least a reference for how long the line should be in feet. The problem is that I can't just do a reference scale for the whole map to match one footage because those numbers are always rounded to the nearest whole number. For example: one strand that I know should be around 556 ft is showing up as having a length of .0018 which I think means it's in radians? (see attached image).

Does anyone know a way I can scale this entire drawing, so all of these lines show up in feet or is that not even possible with the nature of drawing in radians vs flat linear ft?

I've also attached a trimmed down version of the cad file I received.

Thanks.

(using AutoCAD Map 3D 2022 on Windows 10)

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: rlindsey8PJ57

Hi Ryan,
Your drawing is in degree units, so assign LL83 Geographic Coordinate System, save and close. In a new drawing assigned EPSG:2258 NAD83 / New Mexico Central (ftUS), attach and query the LL83 drawing.
Dave

Degrees2Feet_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 5

Hi Dave, thanks for the response. So, I assigned LL83 to the drawing that was originally attached and saved and closed it. Then, I created a new blank file that has that ESPG 2258 assigned, but I'm not sure I know what you mean by attach and query the LL83 drawing. I did a copybase from 0,0 of the info from the LL83 file into the new blank 2258 file and the lines are still at the same very short length.

Message 4 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: rlindsey8PJ57

Ryan,
Like this.
Dave

Attach&Query_1.pngAttach&Query_2.pngAttach&Query_3.pngAttach&Query_4.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 5
rlindsey8PJ57
in reply to: Pointdump

That worked perfectly! The whole map lines up with the aerial and just in time for the meeting with the client for the good news. Thank you very much, Dave and have a great day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report