AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mapimport issues with block scaling

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
lhess
1890 Views, 10 Replies

mapimport issues with block scaling

We have surveyed tree points that need to be imported into Map 3D, and I'm having a couple of issues using 'mapimport'.  Getting the tree symbols imported into the correct locations is a breeze, but the tree symbols are scaled about .78 smaller than what they actually have been created to be.  As a quick fix, i'm simply selecting all of the symbols and adjusting the scale in the properties menu.  This is a minor issue, but it would be nice to figure out what I'm doing wrong so that we can streamline the import process.

Another issue is that after I import the symbols, Map 3D creates additional blocks.  So let's say I've completed the mapimport and then I do the "battman" command and select the block drop-down menu, I now have additional blocks created (named *U6, *U7, etc. in addition to the tree symbol block I've created).  What am I doing that is prompting Map 3D to create extra blocks?  I've attached both our shapefile as well as the tree symbol block we want to use.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lhess

Hi,

>> but the tree symbols are scaled about .78 smaller than

>> what they actually have been created to be

First at all: please do not use dynamic blocks while using Map3D commands (your uploaded drawing contains one block-insertion and that is a dynamic block).

Next please verify the units from your block-drawing compared to the drawing you use while running _MAPIMPORT

Verify both settings: _UNITS as well as -DWGUNITS

The block-drawing you showed has _UNITS set to Feet, -DWGUNITS set to Inches (both settings should be equal)

- alfred -

PS: if we should try anything with your SHP dataset, we need all files, not just the SHP (at least we need SHP, DBF, SHX)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11

I also think the scale arises from the difference in units.
In this case, I was puzzled by the 0.78 factor, which I couldn 't get. 12 turned out or something else. 🙂

(I don 't work with imperial units at all, and I might not have taken everything into account...)

I don 't think the dynamic blocks for Map 3D are causing any problems. And vice versa.
AutoCAD creates blocks named * U... when editing dynamic blocks, but this does not add problems. If they are available PURGE, you can simply delete them.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 4 of 11

Maybe it 's easier, and the scale 0.78 is in dwg by default? To INSERT or somewhere else?

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 5 of 11
ChicagoLooper

This can be done but you need to be more generous with your uploads. In addition to the shp, you must also upload the accompanying shx, dbf, and prj. The shp by itself is not enough to provide you with meaning, relevant results.

Chicagolooper
Message 6 of 11
lhess
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Appreciate the input.  Attached are the necessary files.  I did proceed with changing the -dwgunits to feet to match the _units in both the block drawing as well as the Map 3D output drawing, but the result is the same.

Out of curiosity, would different coordinate systems affect block scaling?  I suspect all this is doing is telling the block where to go, so in theory this wouldn't matter.

Message 7 of 11
parkr4st

which is why you need to post the .prj file which holds the geo coordinate information

dave

Message 8 of 11
ChicagoLooper

No, the CS won't necessarily affect block scaling. It might, it might not. It all depends on your block units and your modelspace units. For me, all my blocks are 'unitless' and I always assign an appropriate coordinate system to modelspace. I have a library of blocks for metric and another one for imperial.

There are 2 ways (actually more than 2 but I'm just considering 2) you can do this. One way uses the shapefile itself, and to me and many others, it's a more 'direct' way. The other way involves using MAPIMPORT command and the existing block you uploaded in your previous post.

Using the shapefile, connect to the shapefile and use a 'theme.' Base this theme on the values in the attribute column DB_RANGE. (Alternatively, use DBH if you want to theme tree height instead of tree truck size.) See image 1 below.

Image 1. Using Excel, go to File=>Open=>Browse to dbf=>Open.Image 1. Using Excel, go to File=>Open=>Browse to dbf=>Open.

There are 5 unique values (actually there's 6 but you can ignore the one with N/A, that value is useless). By using a theme, you can size (or scale) the symbol based on the 'value' contained in each row of the DB_RANGE column. See image 2 below.

Image 2.Image 2.

Using MAPIMPORT command, you can import the shapefile. You can make a unique layer for each value in the DB_RANGE column. To represent your trees, you can use your existing block. You can even 'harvest' the Tree ID data from the TREEID field of the shapefile's dbf to fill your block attribute. By doing this, each block will capture the designated tree ID that's in the dbf. By isolating each 'group' of tree to its own layer, you can scale each group's scale in the properties palette. (If you wish, you may rename or re-color any layer.) See image 3 below.

Image 3.Image 3.

To use mapimport command here are the general guidelines.

Image 4A. this will create unique layers, one for each trunk diameter.Image 4A. this will create unique layers, one for each trunk diameter.

Image 4B. this will 'harvest' data from the shapefile's dbf. (Although this is an optional step, it's highly desirable.Image 4B. this will 'harvest' data from the shapefile's dbf. (Although this is an optional step, it's highly desirable.

Image 4C. This will enable you to use your existing block and harvest the TREEID from the dbf to use in your block's attribute.Image 4C. This will enable you to use your existing block and harvest the TREEID from the dbf to use in your block's attribute..

Chicagolooper
Message 9 of 11
lhess
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Ah, this is glorious.  My end goal was to be able to populate the symbols at the corresponding tree canopy size, so that's very helpful.  Very much appreciate your time on this.  There are some other visuals I will want to tweak, but this gets me going in the right direction.

Message 10 of 11
Pointdump

@ChicagoLooper,
Nice! Thanks for that really good tutorial. In Civil 3D I'd use Description Keys for Symbol and Scale, but I haven't worked much with Thematic Rules. So this was an enjoyable learning experience. I used my own tree block instead of Lee's Dynamic Block.
Drawing and Shapefile Attached. (Both are MO83-EF Coordinate System.)

MapTree_2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 11
qchenTPPXV

Hello,

Thank you for sharing. Just wondering the procedures you get the image 2. It is blank from my side.

qchenTPPXV_0-1691895120065.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report