AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3d won't connect with Georeferenced image

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Brianaurum1
323 Views, 3 Replies

Map 3d won't connect with Georeferenced image

Hello,

• I have tried to connect a georeferenced JPG file exported from Nearmap. However when I try to connect it states that the specified file does not exist.
  • If I select the directory above the folder, it will go to the dialogue window and if I manually select the coordinate system and click 'display on map' it will attach the image but at the origin
  • This is a new installation of Map 3d 2024
  • This operation works perfectly on the workstation next to me which runs 2023
  • The JPG file and its associated .jgw file are contained in their own folder with nothing else in it.
  • I have also tried using the MAPIINSERT command however it does not associate the .jgw file.
  • The coordinate system is set to MGA/20-56 which the image sits within.
  • The exported .jwg file does not attach here so have converted it to .txt to attach. I tried the same processes with the .txt file.

Please give me some hints on what settings need to be changed to make this work.

Brian

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Pointdump
in reply to: Brianaurum1

Hi Brian,
I just used MAPCONNECT to bring in your image into Civil 3D 2024.
Almost all the problems I've seen with NearMap are because of the long file names. Try shortening both the file name and the file path.
Dave

Image_1.png

Image_2.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Brianaurum1

Hi @Brianaurum1 

Thank you for uploading your Near Map images.

I can confirm the diagnosis from @Pointdump. The file path is too long for Near Map. 

From >>Near Map<<

2001.png

Put the jpg and jpw files in your DOWNLOADS folder or on your DESKTOP then use a Data Connection (or use MapIInsert) and your image will be added to modelspace, assuming you've already assigned an appropriate coordinate system to begin with.

Note:

If you get window shown below with 0,0,0 displaying as Insertion Point, stop. You’ll need to shorten file path by moving your jpg and jpw to another folder, then try reconnecting again. 

1001.PNG 

Additional Note:

I frequently download and add geospatial images from third party software to drawings and the 128 character limit associated with the file path is never an issue. This limit seems specifically tied to Near Map and doesn't affect the length of file path when using another provider of geospatial imagery.   

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Brianaurum1
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you Dave and Chicagolooper,

The GCS was set correctly. The problem was file name length and folder name length as well. I appreciate your help.

Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report