AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there some kind of dynamic feature overlay ??

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
a_salembierWM9YE
77 Views, 0 Replies

Is there some kind of dynamic feature overlay ??

hi everyone,

Just a question. i can't find it anywhere in Autocad Map, also not on google so it's probably not included, and possible in Autocad Map, but it's something included in Geomedia so i'm just asking...may be it's still possible under Autocad Map.

Here my example :

i have 2 shape files in my display manager

Shape1 is a urban design (roads, walkways, parcels, grass, water, etc...)

Shape 2 is a shape containing the boundary of the project and there is a division in different areas.

Now, to divide the Shape1 under the different areas (Shape2), i use the Feature overlay option and then from there i can make a calculation in my data table to know exactly how many squaremeters there are of roads, walkways, grass, water, parcels per area.

this works just fine! 

now the feature overlay creates a SDF file but i have 2 issues :

1: if the urban design (Shape 1) change, i have to do the feature overlay (intersection) again to get the new division between all the areas. is there no "dynamic" overlay that would automatically change in case Shape1 would change?? 

2: second issue is the styling. i would like to be able to style the SDF file in the same way my Shape1 is styled (the color for grass is different from the roads,etc...) .

i do have saved a layer of my shape but is apparently cumbersome to apply it to another feature. i first have to use MAPIMPORT to import again the SDF file, then use MAPEXPORT to export the imported SDF as a shape. then use dataconnect to import the newly made Shape file (of the SDF file). and then have to modify the saved Layer file with Notepad++ to apply the style to another shape file.

Then if the urban design change, i have to do this all again. re-overlay, re-import with MAPIMPORT, re-export with MAPEXPORT, reconnect to the SHAPE, re-style .

So my question is ...is there a way to get an automatic overlay of 2 shapes (if they change). or a way to "refresh" the overlay?

and is there a better way to style faster the created intersection overlay in the same way as the shape1 ??

Thanks a lot for your comments. 

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report