Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use wms layer offline?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tobias4XT29
260 Views, 4 Replies

Use wms layer offline?

Hi, I have integrated a wms background map (aerial image/osm). When plotting, the map is not printed. I got it to work once when I switched off cloud synchronisation. Is there a way to save a screenshot for a specific image section like with the "geomap" function (Bing/Airbus aerial image)? Is that possible?

Br

Tobias

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: tobias4XT29

Hi @tobias4XT29 

Using WMS service 

https://imagery.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSNAIPImagery/ImageServer/WMSServer?request=GetCap...

Do this:

1. Go to your Layout Tab=>Activate viewport=>Right click WMS layer on Map Task Pane=>Cache WMS Data.

Image-1Image-1

2. When I plot to PDF format, the final result looks like this.

Image-2Image-2

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
tobias4XT29

Thanks! I have set my computer offline and the aerial image is displayed in the last used resolution even without an external data connection. That's very good. However, AC does not always plot the background image. It only works for me if the cloud synchronisation to Onedrive is switched off.

But I actually wanted to go one step further and save separate "screenshots" in Map3D, which I can also display without the wms service. Is that possible?

Br

Tobias

Message 4 of 5
ChicagoLooper

WMS connections are not meant to be saved. Someone (or some other entity) 'manages' the data so you don't have to. The 'data' is collected, maintained, updated, and in many cases, offered at no charge to you.  Some services may require a logon and subscription while others may not.

If you (or your boss) are willing to pay a fee, then it'll be worthwhile to research non-WMS services which provide superior imagery at a reasonable cost. If you want to create an image library then use a site dedicated to offering downloadable aerial imagery, not WMS. It's like buying music. No one buys music anymore since it's streamed on demand through the internet. Same with buying videos and books. And how many people do you know who still read then save the newspaper? 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
tobias4XT29

Yes, I know. But thanks for the first tip. Best greats from Hamburg/Germany.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report