AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export Blocks with no attributes to shapefile or text file

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
aokeefe01
242 Views, 2 Replies

How to export Blocks with no attributes to shapefile or text file

I have 10 sets of blocks throughout my drawing which don't seem to have any attribute information.

I want to extract the HANDLE, LAYER, X ,Y, Z information from their properties panel however - whether that be as a shapefile or text file.

However, I can't seem to find how to do so. I tried this tutorial https://mgfx.co.za/blog/building-architectural-design/how-to-add-attributes-to-an-autocad-2020-block... but it just produced an .xls file which said DELETEME

aokeefe01_0-1658773410954.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Pointdump
in reply to: aokeefe01

Hi @aokeefe01,
"...it just produced an .xls file which said DELETEME"

A .xls file can be opened in Excel. You can also output data to other formats, like .csv or .txt.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 3
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: aokeefe01

Hello @aokeefe01 From your original post.

<<...I want to extract the HANDLE, LAYER, X ,Y, Z information from their properties panel...>

You can do it using MAPEXPORT command. Name and save your exported shapefile to your project folder (or a subfolder). Here are the instructions to save LAYER, X, Y and Z from the Properties Palette. 

1. On the Selection Tab, your feature class for your blocks will be 'Point.' (Blocks are always considered as POINTS.) Then you may choose your own selection method. In this example, I choose 'Select Manually.'

Image-1Image-1

2. On the Data Tab you'll select the attributes you mentioned in your opening post. Click 'Select Attributes.'

Image-2Image-2

3. Expand Properties so you can capture the information from the Properties Palette.

Image-3Image-3

4. Check 'LAYER' then scroll down.

Image-4Image-4

5. You'll also need to check X1, Y1 and Z1 to get coordinates.

Image-5Image-5

6.The captured data will appear as the Output Field. The output field is the data that will populate the shapefile's database file or dbf. Click OK to execute the MAPEXPORT procedure. You may skip the Options Tab.

***WARNING: If you are exporting POLYGONS, go to the Options Tab and check the box named Treat closed polylines as polygons THEN you may click OK to execute MapExport command.***

Image-6Image-6

7. When you add the shapefile to to your drawing, it will appear in modelspace and be listed on the Map Task Pane. The shapefile's Table View will display the Database, the attributes, (Layer, X1, Y1, Z1) because you capture that data from the Properties Palette during your MAPEXPORT procedure.

Image-7Image-7

You customize or apply STYLE to change the appearance of your shapefile POINTS after you've added them to your drawing. You may modify the symbol itself, line color, linetype, fill color, size, rotation, etc. You may make the symbol as simple or as elaborate as you wish.

While in Table View, you may go to the bottom of the table then Options=>Select All (the rows will highlight as blue)=>Options again=>Export...=>Name and save your Export in csv format. You may open this csv file using Excel.

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta