AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google maps to AutoCAD

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Automohan
2747 Views, 10 Replies

Google maps to AutoCAD

Dear Colleagues, guide me !

I need google maps into autocad polylines thr. AutoCAD Map 3d or Possible through customize software ?

Google maps.jpg

"Save Energy"
Did you find this reply helpful? If so please use the Accept as Solution
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Automohan

Sorry, but you can't get vectors, i.e. lines or points or polygons from Google Map. You'll need to use a different source to get the line work you need, for example use openstreet map.

Pros:

If you wish to get vectors, an alternative would be to go to openstreetmap.org. Once there, you can export, or download, your area free of charge. There are limitations on area--you can't be too zoomed out--you must be focused on a small area. When exported you'll have an .osm file.

Cons:

You cannot open an .osm file from AutoCAD. You'll need another program to open the .osm file then export using that other program to a file type AutoCAD can read such as a shapefile. 

Note:

There are many other free downloadable alternatives besides openstreetmap. You can use your favorite search engine to find them. Use 'key words' in your search, e.g. free, download, shapefile, city name, roads, etc. The source you download depends on the type of map you wish to create. If you want line work, you can download shapefile. A shapefile can be roads, buildings, rivers, wetlands, soil maps, administrative boundaries such as cities, railroad lines, school districts, voting precincts, topographic contours and many more. You can use MAPIMPORT command to 'import' your downloaded shapefile to Map3D. MapImport command will 'convert' the shapefile into vanilla AutoCAD objects such as lines.

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 11
gluckett
in reply to: Automohan

Have you considered using openstreetmap.org ?

You can download all the roads, buildings (a lot in 3D) from here:http://download.geofabrik.de/

It's a community sourced project.  You can bring the data into AutoCAD Map 3D.

Message 4 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: gluckett

Hi Gordon,
What is a ".osm.pbf" and ".osm.bz2" format and how do you use them?
Dave

OSM_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 11
TerryDotson
in reply to: Pointdump

What is a ".osm.pbf" and ".osm.bz2" format and how do you use them?

Don't know about .PBF but .BZ2 is short for BZip2, a file compression method similar to .ZIP.  Remember "the great thing about standards is that there are so many of them".

Message 6 of 11
gluckett
in reply to: TerryDotson

Those osm files contain points, lines, and polygons.

You can convert them online to shapefiles with a few converters like this one: https://mygeodata.cloud/converter/osm-to-shp

Or use FME (safe software(.

I often use QGIS and export to shapefile and then drag and drop the shapefiles into AutoCAD Map.

Message 7 of 11
TerryDotson

Those osm files contain points, lines, and polygons.

I'm very familiar with the .OSM format, just haven't seen the odd zipped variants.  Whenever I want OSM content I just window the area of interest, my tool queries the OpenStreetMaps server, pulls the contents and creates it in the drawing (two picks, done).

I also contribute OSM content as often as I can.  If you use it, become a contributor !

Message 8 of 11
gluckett

Oh yeah, they are GZIP and Bzip2 formats. Like ZIP or Tarballs.
You can use 7Zip to uncompress all those types.

Message 9 of 11
TerryDotson

You can download all the roads, buildings (a lot in 3D) from here:http://download.geofabrik.de/

Those downloads are massive.  Anyone would be better off to visit the OpenStreetMaps website, window off the rectangular area of interest and create a reasonably small .OSM file instead.

Message 10 of 11
gluckett

For subsets, I usually use this site

http://overpass-turbo.eu/

I've gotten 3D buildings using this site.

Message 11 of 11
TerryDotson

In either of these cases, you are dating your content and relying on the alternate source to be up to date (which I doubt).  By using OpenStreetMaps site, you may pick up additions/revisions made 2-3 days ago.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report