AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing maps, using Feature classes (dwg)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
АлексЮстасу
645 Views, 8 Replies

drawing maps, using Feature classes (dwg)

Someone here is using Feature classes (dwg) of the Map 3d?

We decided not to wait for fixes and improvements Feature classes.

We decided to create the alternative of Feature classes deprived of their disadvantages and better opening their sucessful ideas. Only on the basis of Object Data.

And yet at the same time to significantly expand the possibilities of using Object Data directly in the active dwg.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I wanted to know how widely used Feature classes (dwg)?
I wanted to evaluate my impression that the Feature classes are used very little.

I see the problem is that the Feature classes laid great ideas, but not good enough and not fully implemented.
The same thing, in my opinion, and with Object Data.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: АлексЮстасу

Hi Alexander,

what do you mean by "FeatureClass"? Do you mean the classification based on XML?

Can you give an example / screenshot?

Yes, shame that ObjectData has not been further developed by ADSK.

Rob

Message 4 of 9
АлексЮстасу
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I mean Feature classes - means of drawing and classification in dwg. With the description of objects and their characteristics in the xml.

We used Feature classes since 2006 in big cartographical production. And experience showed, what even as soon as means of drawing in dwg use of Feature classes gives acceleration and many best quality of drawings. Even if the created plans and maps aren't intended for GIS.

Message 5 of 9
АлексЮстасу
in reply to: Anonymous

Before creating alternatives I decided to analyse a situation with Object Data;

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/infrastructure/2015/08/object-data-in-autocad-map-3d-as-the-simplest-a...

Message 6 of 9

Hi,

>> I see the problem is that the Feature classes laid great ideas, but not good enough and not fully implemented.

I fully agree with that. The basic idea is great, the implementation is too bad.

It's like some of ideas implementation started and then ended at 50% or so, sometimes that smells like budget killed functionality,

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 9

Yes, it seems "only started to win, and the money ran out" 🙂
In my opinion, in the Feature classes is not done, the main:
- to remove the Custom properties, Object Data at unclassify them Feature classes and replace them with the others classify Feature classes,
- input window for Custom properties, Object Data with control values
- automatically classify all the graphic elements on the sets of their properties,

And in principle - unfortunately one graphic element, you can define only one Feature classes. Ie it is impossible to classify, providing chain-node data structure.

In addition: Feature classes require localization. We have to alter XML, support many XML.

Message 8 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

>> I see the problem is that the Feature classes laid great ideas, but not good enough and not fully implemented.

I fully agree with that. The basic idea is great, the implementation is too bad.

It's like some of ideas implementation started and then ended at 50% or so, sometimes that smells like budget killed functionality,

- alfred -

I don't think it was the budget kills that got it but more of the "NEW FDO" features and ways to read other data. As a former product manager once told me object data and classification is not advancing now that we have FDO. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 9

For my previous picture "where_parcel_boundary": Unlike the Feature classes, to one element you can attach any number of different, and even the same Object Data. That is, if classify items using Object Data, it is possible to describe belonging one element (e.g., boundary) any number of objects (e.g., polygons).

@Anonymous wrote:

As a former product manager once told me object data and classification is not advancing now that we have FDO. 

It seems they did not develop the Object Data and until 2007, before the FDO? And with FDO it is convenient to draw?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report