AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conceptual question about Shapefiles

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
FJankovsky
1731 Views, 24 Replies

Conceptual question about Shapefiles

Coming from a plain Autocad background in manufacturing and engineering I view every item in model space as something that can be manipulated at will and saved for future use.  Having started to use Map 3d in the last year I have been constantly frustrated by not being able to directly manipulate Shapefiles and save the results.

I am now starting to think about Shapefiles as more of an output akin to a plot.  If I need to make a change to a plot I go back to the original drawing file, make the changes, and plot again as opposed to getting out some white out and making the correction on the plot itself.  In this same vein it seems that instead of attempting to make changes to Shapefiles in Map I need to go back to the underlying data, make the changes there, and regenerate the Shapefile.

Am I on the right track here or am I missing some basic editing capabilities for Shapefiles?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
parkr4st
in reply to: FJankovsky

D & D      drag and drop   drag the file from file explorer to the map and drop it with the mouse cursor

the only issue I see is you have trouble editing the .shp files.  can you post a sample .shp in ZIP file that you cannot get the MAPCHECKINALL to work on?  being able to edit the FDO files is a basic need of working with GIS data.  IF that does not work, it needs to be fixed.  IMHO

Message 22 of 25
FJankovsky
in reply to: parkr4st

@parkr4st 

Thanks.  I'll get back with you next week. 

Message 23 of 25
FJankovsky
in reply to: parkr4st

@parkr4st wrote:

clarify something

.shp in the map,  you edit an object(s) in the .shp, mapcheckinall does not save the edits?

buffer the routes.  you need to change a route. delete the buffer associated with that route

select the object ( selecting the object activates mapcheckout), and edit it. leave it selected. 

MAPFDOFEATUREBUFFER , dialogue will show 1 selected, and set a different width for the buffer, save it to the existing buffer file, respond yes to overwrite, the buffer is added to that object in the map,  mapcheckinall

close the map, new map D &D the route .shp and buffer .sdf into the map.  doe they appear correctly?

I tried this yesterday and was unable to check in features.  After looking at the error messages and poking around a little on the net I believe the problem has to do with some of the security settings that IT has on my computer and ACAD's ability to write to certain network locations where the files are located. 

Created new files all on my local hard drive and did the test that you described above and everything worked just as it should.

This is raising another question, when editing a polyline shp should these vertex menu options function?  I can move the vertex but I am unable to add or delete with this menu.

fjankovsky_0-1606826557817.png

Thanks.

Message 24 of 25
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: FJankovsky

I suggest you start with the obvious. Your shapefile can be 'checked-in' only if you have properly 'checked-out.' Once you have properly performed a proper check-out, then and only then, will you be able to perform a proper check-in.

To determine if you have performed a check-out to this:

1. Select the shapefile layer in the Map Task Pane=>Click the Table Icon. The TABLE VIEW will open. 
  2.  Select the geometry you wish to edit in modelspace. The corresponding row(s) in the Table View will highlight blue.
  3. With the row(s) highlighted click the CHECK-OUT icon on the ribbon. A pencil symbol will appear in the extreme left column of the Table View. The pencil indicates the RECORD (a single row) has been properly checked-out.
  4. Make you edits directly on the geometry in modelspace using the blue grips at the vertices of the geometry.
  5. When your edits are complete, select the row(s) with the pencil symbol(s) so they are highlighted blue, then click the CHECK-IN button. 

1-Open the shapefile's Table View.1-Open the shapefile's Table View.2-The pencil symbol indicates proper Check-out. When you check-in the pencil symbol will go away.2-The pencil symbol indicates proper Check-out. When you check-in the pencil symbol will go away.

Chicagolooper
Message 25 of 25
FJankovsky
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

@ChicagoLooper 

Not sure I follow which comment of mine you're responding to.  I follow what you are saying about checking in and out features, and the features are now properly checking in and out since the shp files are on my local machine.  Are you referring to my question above regarding the ability to add and delete vertexes from the onscreen context menu?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta