AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2017 is 300% slower than AutoCAD 2013?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1130 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD 2017 is 300% slower than AutoCAD 2013?

I recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2017 from 2013 and have noticed a marked difference in speed for any AutoCAD command.

I produce precast panel shop drawings (about 7500 per year) and quite often have to open each one individually, do a change and then close the file. To accelerate this process I have written a series of routines using script files to open the file, perform the command, save that and then open the next, etc.

I have tested the speed of this by performing this test on 10 shop drawings with the following results:

AutoCAD 2013 : 28 seconds

AutoCAD 2017 : 94 seconds

Conclusion AutoCAD 2017 is 3 times slower than AutoCAD 2013 on the same computer.

Computer is a very new laptop with an Intel i7-6820HK CPU, Nvidia 980M GTX 8GB graphics card, 32GB DDR4 2133 RAM, 850EVO 250GB M.2 SATA3 SSD, 850 EVO 1TB SSD and Win10 Pro 64-bit.

Any suggestions on how I get AutoCAD 2017 to outperform my 4 year old version of AutoCAD would be gretly appreciated?

I have just spent a sizeable amount of money upgrading in order to perform my daily tasks 300% slower and to me this is unacceptable!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

There are a great many settings which may affect speed, many of which are made once and then forgotten about until the next install.  For example:

• (video) hardware acceleration turned on?
  • anti-virus exclusions?
  • 360 auto-sync turned off?
  • Search paths not added/added lower in the list/being redirected from non-existent file locations?
  • Are the drawings being auto-constrained?

You've probably forgotten a change somewhere.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 15
braudpat

Hello

1) Which kind of DWG : 2D or 3D or mix 2D/3D ?

2) Which size ?

3) Have you a lot of texts / mtexts / attributs / dimensions  / etc

if YES, please switch ALL your text styles from TTF to SHX, to see if it makes a huge difference ?

4) Have you tried to disable LINEFADING ?

and LINESMOOTHING ?

5) We are speaking about ACAD 2017 or MAP 2017 ?

Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

1. All DWG are 2D only

2. are all no larger than 600kb

3. Minimal text using SHX fonts

4. Will try with these disabled

5. AutoCAD 2017

Message 5 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

one potential conflict might be the assigned plotters to the layouts (and modelspace), maybe they don't exist any more so the new system does not find them and to verify the existance of the plotter needs time.

A good check would be if you can upload one or two of the projects so we can verify the result on our systems, just to see if we get the same differences with your projects.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Both of these tests were conducted on the same system using the same plotters and assignments.

In fact at installation all settings were migrated succcessfully from AutoCAD 2013 to 2017.

I'm certainly comparing apples with apples here.

I didn't really expect AutoCAD 2017 to be quicker than AutoCAD 2017, however, I certainly didn't expect it to be 300% slower.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I have disabled LINEFADING and LINESMOOTHING and found that the test timing does not change, ie still 94 seconds.

Message 8 of 15
braudpat

Hello from France

It seems that you have migrated your old 2013 profile to your new 2017 !?

I never do that because it is dangerous ...

So please could you Reset to the Default Profil and test again ?

Start / Autodesk / AutoCAD 2017 ... / Reset to Default profil (or something like that ?)

Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

I created a clean profile and re-tested.

Result 94 seconds Man Frustrated

Message 10 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> In fact at installation all settings were migrated succcessfully from AutoCAD 2013 to 2017.

Wow, my personal opionion: never migrate settings, especially not with Map 3D!!!

And migrating plotter config's does not automatically mean they will work.

>> I'm certainly comparing apples with apples here.

But you are working just on your system, that's why I asked for a sample dataset to verify your experience on other systems.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I am comparing the same dataset of drawings and commands on the same computer using AutoCAD 2013 and then 2017.

Providing the dataset to anyone on another system will not prove anything.

I have attached them anyway but you will not be able to run the routine as this is dependent of a proprietary applicaiton software (Struc Plus) which may not exist on another system.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

I have done some further experimenting and have managed to speed up AutoCAD 2017.

Under the Options command I had all files being saved back an AutoCAD 2010 version (so that the files are compatible with my mobile device). Once I set the file open and save option back to AutoCAD 2013 (on both versions of AutoCAD) I then get the following results:

AutoCAD 2017 : 58 seconds

AutocAD 2013 : 24 seconds

So I can now state that AutoCAD 2017 is now only 240% slower than AutoCAD 2013?

Still unacceptable IMHO. However, AutoCAD 2017 improved significantly with this change.

Message 13 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Providing the dataset to anyone on another system will not prove anything.

That could be a proof to know that some settings are ok in 2013 but not ok on 2017.

Also this statement "on another system will not prove anything" could mean with other words "only on your system AutoCAD 2017 is 3 times slower than 2013"?

Why do you think that it is not worth to compare that with other systems?

>> but you will not be able to run the routine as this is dependent of a

>> proprietary applicaiton software

Ok, what makes you sure about the speed difference is based in AutoCAD and not on the application?

>> I had all files being saved back an AutoCAD 2010 version

Make sure that the application specific objects support back-saving to older releases!

I have now opened all files in 2012, 2014 as well as in 2017 ... time to open all files was 9sec, 10sec, 13sec.

(I don't have 2013 available at the moment)

What I can see is that there are a lot of SHX files missing on my system, that might make the difference on your system if 2013 can find these SHX while 2017 can not.

May I ask what your drawings have to do with AutoCAD Map 3D, I don't see any GIS-likle objects in your drawings?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 14 of 15
scheel

Hi,

Alfred, I think you are on the right way. Every time AutoCAD doesn't find the shx file it will use alle searchpath to find it and then when not it will use the alternative. So the first step could be to copy the old shx files in die fonts directory of AutoAD 2017.

Also you have to control all other searchpath in the options. for hatchpattern (.pat) and so on. But be carefull, just copy is not ever the right way.

Thorsten

Thorsten Scheel
Contelos GmbH

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: scheel

Thanks for the help with this issue.

I have checked that all SHX files are present and can confirm that they are included on both AutoCAD 2013 & 2017. I just overlooked including them in the earlier zip file.

I have since had an opportunity to test this same dataset on AutoCAD 2016 and the same test was completed in 32 seconds which I deem is acceptable and only marginally slower than AutoCAD 2013.

BTW, I'm not using MAP. The only reason I created this thread here is that there was another user with the same issue (when I searched all forums).

FYI, I have been playing around with the graphics settings (GRAPHCONFIG), disabled a number of settings and have now reduced the the test time to under 60 seconds.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report