AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB Script to Select NextVal from Sequence

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TomWilgaWH
642 Views, 5 Replies

VB Script to Select NextVal from Sequence

I've created a Sequence (TB_NOMEN_NO). 

When a new feature is created, the default setting of the NAME_NUMBER field of the feature is set to pull from the above sequence, but I'd like to create a VB Script button in order to pull the next available value. This button would be used for features that are already digitized.

We are going through an entire re-naming of our system so rather than creating a new feature, I'd like to overwrite the existing NAME_NUMBER field with the next available value from the TB_NOMEN_NO sequence. 

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------
Thomas Wilga
Engineering Technician
GIS Coordinator
Field Inspector

Welland Hydro-Electric Systems Corp.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
fieldguy
in reply to: TomWilgaWH

some questions. can you provide some test data (start point and explain your expected results)?

is TB_NOMEN_NO a system variable or something else?

if a new feature is created, do you want to check all existing "NAME_NUMBER" fields to find the highest number? 

or, check the TB_NOMEN_NO value?

are you editing existing features or adding new, or both?

what is the workflow? where is your planned "VB Script button" going to be? do you have a user form? 

Message 3 of 6
TomWilgaWH
in reply to: fieldguy

Hi @fieldguy, thanks for your response.

To eleborate...

• I am using forms (industry model).

• I created TB_NOMEN_NO as a sequence.
• Currently, when a new feature is created, the NAME_NUMBER field is defaulted to pull the next value available from TB_NOMEN_NO. This is all 'out of the box' capability with Map 3D. This is done from the form designer.
• We will need to edit existing data as well as add new data. Again, when a new feature is created, the NAME_NUMBER field will automatically pull the next available value from TB_NOMEN_NO.

The issue comes with editing existing data. I need to modify the NAME_NUMBER field of the form so that it is the next available number from TB_NOMEN_NO. Since there is already a value in the NAME_NUMBER field, I'd like to program a script button to pull the next available number from TB_NOMEN_NO and place it in the NAME_NUMBER field.

Hopefully that helps..

Thomas Wilga
Engineering Technician
GIS Coordinator
Field Inspector

Message 4 of 6
fieldguy

i think that existing data has to be modified before new data can be added. that means the program would have to check each "NAME_NUMBER" field to check if the value is in the sequence already.  if it is, then the next available TB_NOMEN_NO (NextVal) would be the position of the value in the sequence + 1. if it isn't, then the "NAME_NUMBER" value will be set to the next available TB_NOMEN_NO (the value in the NextVal position).

you might also need a dictionary or datatable that indicates each TB_NOMEN_NO and a boolean whether it is used or not. 

i would start by setting NextVal to 1 (the position of the first value in the sequence).  i would use another integer (CurrentVal = -1) when checking each existing "NAME_NUMBER" field.  if the NAME_NUMBER value is in the sequence (at position CurrentVal), NextVal will be CurrentVal + 1.  but, how can you be sure that the value in that position has not been used already? 

you mention "out of the box" capability with pulling the next value from TB_NOMEN_NO - i have never seen or used that feature.  that's why i ask what "TB_NOMEN_NO" is - is the sequence an array of integers or strings defined in code?

i am willing to investigate this further but not without test data.

Message 5 of 6
TomWilgaWH
in reply to: fieldguy

I think I will create a video to explain as it's a bit difficult to explain via text. 

I'll post up a video shortly.

Thomas Wilga
Engineering Technician
GIS Coordinator
Field Inspector

Message 6 of 6
stelli

Hi Thomas,

try this:

dim Val as long
dim SQL as string

SQL = "select MySequence.NEXTVAL from DUAL"
Val = me.ConnectionTools.LngValue(SQL)

Stelli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report