AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop for multiple versions of Autocad Map without installing all versions in the same machine?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Dan_Moller
1098 Views, 4 Replies

How to develop for multiple versions of Autocad Map without installing all versions in the same machine?

I have the task to deploy some addin to different versions of Autocad Map.

Currently, I have version 2020 installed in my machine, and I have successfully developed a working addin (just a .dll file loaded by NETLOAD) using the Autocad Map dlls found in my machine (namely ManagedMapApi.dll and some of the OSGEO.MapGuide._____.dll files).  

Now some people in the company are starting to use Autocad Civil / Map 3D 2022 and I need to update my addin for them. Is there a way to do that without having to install version 2022 in my machine?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fieldguy
in reply to: Dan_Moller

>>and I need to update my addin for them<<.

there should not be any problem. you said "update" so that implies they are using it already?

when you attach the autocad API references to build your dll you have "copy local" set to false. that means your app will find them when they are required. 

Message 3 of 5
Dan_Moller
in reply to: fieldguy

That's not true, the addin will reject working because of different .NET
framework versions and I do not have the proper Autocad and Map dlls
targeting the correct framework to compile it.
Message 4 of 5
fieldguy

more reading - not sure these answer your questions. you must have a reason for not being on the same version as the users you are developing apps for.   

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/net/net-framework-support/m-p/9403930 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/net/net-framework-4-8/m-p/11076028 

FWIW - I have just updated a dll for use in C3D 2023 - target framework is 4.7.2

Message 5 of 5
norman.yuan

What @fieldguy said is correct in general. That is, if your plugin is PURE .NET API development. The only chance it would not work is that your development is targeting later .NET framework, say 4.8, while your user who use the same version of AutoCAD MAP/C3D with older version of Framework (say, 4.6/7) and the computer does not have 4.8 installed. Since you are saying you use Acad2020, and your users could use newer Acad, I do not see you would have issue with your PURE .NET API code.

I emphasize "PURE" .NET API. If your project somehow uses COM interop with early binding (e.g. you set references to Autodesk.AutoCAD.Interop/Common.dll, then yes, you makes your project version dependent, that is the nature of COM API. If you really cannot avoid to use COM API here and there, try late binding whenever it is possible to avoid making your code version dependent.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report