AutoCAD Map 3D Developer
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Developer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D Developer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcSDE Connection Not Staying Live

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
692 Views, 7 Replies

ArcSDE Connection Not Staying Live

I am currently testing a new workflow where we will connect to an ArcSDE database via AutoCAD Map 3D 2016. Generally speaking, it is working well with the exception that we frequently have issue with AutoCAD Map showing an outdated version of the source data. If a user edits the schema or adds data to the feature class via ArcGIS, then the AutoCAD user will need to detach and reattach the layer for the updates to display. Even then, there are times where detaching and reattaching the '.layer' file will not solve the problem. We have even tried making a new connection from scratch, and yet the current data existing in the SDE is not displaying.

Currently, we are using database authentication for the SDE, not Windows Authentication. I feel like changing this approach may help, but I wanted to get some feedback on this workflow since it is relatively new to me.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

with regards to "Even then, there are times where detaching and reattaching the '.layer' file will not solve the problem.

When you query any database through FDO Map will cache data locally.

If you have issues like the one you described - empty the cache.

There are two locattions for cached files:

- user temp folder (enter %temp% in WinExplorer to get to the folder) - Map releated files should be deleted (such as *.gsw files)

- Map cache folder (check Map-Options settings for folder location) - should be cleared completly (but if you use Map "clear chache folder" button it might leave files in the folder as they are locked by current Map session)

Rob

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Clearing the cache did work, but I do not understand why AutoCAD Map would cache those files if it meant that it would not pull data directly from the source. Seems to conflict with the entire concept of connecting to an SDE. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hi,

I don't know how ArcGIS works when you connect to ArcSDE - I wouldn't be surprised if it cached files locally as well.

Anyway - we work with Map/Topobase and Oracle and do lots of creating and editing features in a multiuser environment. Any work you do is automatically saved back to Oracle - as user you do not notice that files are somehow cached. If someone else is connected to the same feature classes and edits the data those changes get visible in your Map session automatically as well.

There are only very occasionally iusses with Map cache. The main reason for caching is probably perfomance.

Rob

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Rob,

What we have been experiencing is that schema changes (added/removed fields, etc.) are not being picked up in AutoCAD when a layer is 'Refreshed' through the map workspace pane. If a user in AutoCAD then attempts to add or modify records with that disconnect in schema, the changes do not get committed to the SDE and the changes show up as errors in the layer.

After your original suggestion, we did some testing and if the cache is cleared, the layer is forced to look back to the source SDE layer for geometry and attribution, which is logical. One of the issues that plays into this as well is the manual refresh that is required when a DWG file is opened if it has a saved connection to an SDE feature.

I appreciate your input.

Brandon

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Brandon,

just a final remark. When a user starts Map trough a shortcut we provided the cache folders get cleared - just to avoid that old files accumulate there.

Since we implemented that we haven't seen any cache related issues at all.

Rob

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

That is exactly the type of solution that I had in mind. Would you mind sharing the process of how you accomplished that? I discussed with my IT group created a batch file to delete the contents of the cache folder, and they were not thrilled about the idea. If I can find a way to roll that into the shortcut command, that may be the most elegant solution.

Brandon

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

it is unfortunately a batch file we use. The shortcut points to the batch file an the content is

@echo off
@echo Kopiert einige Startdateien.....
@copy SYSTEM.config.mapsys.proddb "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\R19.0\deu\Settings\SYSTEM.config"
:: alte einträge löschen - neue ablage im %appdata% ordner:
@echo Löscht einige Alteinträge.....
@rmdir /s /q  "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WINPostdwgexport.bundle\"
@rmdir /s /q "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WIN_Punktexport.bundle\"

@echo Installiert AutoCAD Plugin im User Verzeichnis
@xcopy /s /y  "S:\GIS\MAPKonfig\Install\WIN_FDO_Layertools\WIN_FDO_Layertools.bundle" "%APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WIN_FDO_Layertools.bundle\"
@xcopy /s /y  "S:\GIS\MAPKonfig\Install\WIN_FDO_DynFeatures\WIN_FDO_DynFeatures.bundle" "%APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WIN_FDO_DynFeatures.bundle\"
@xcopy /s /y  "S:\GIS\MAPKonfig\Install\DWG_ExportNachbearbeitung_Plugin_Installation\WINPostdwgexport.bundle" "%APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WINPostdwgexport.bundle\"
@xcopy /s /y  "S:\GIS\MAPKonfig\Install\WIN_PunktexportPlugin_Installation\WIN_Punktexport.bundle" "%APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WIN_Punktexport.bundle\"
@xcopy /s /y  "S:\GIS\MAPKonfig\Install\WIN_FDO_Maptools\WIN_FDO_Maptools.bundle" "%APPDATA%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\WIN_FDO_Maptools.bundle\"

:: löscht temporäre Dateien von AutoCAD Map
@del /q /f /s "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.gws"
@del /q /f /s "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.vdf"
@del /q /f /s "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\R19.0\MapCache\*.*"

@cd /D "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\UserDataCache\"
start "" "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\acad.exe"  /product ACAD /language "de-DE"
exit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report