Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Sheet Count

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
11116 Views, 22 Replies

Total Sheet Count

How is it that it is still not possible in AutoCAD LT to count the total number of sheets. It's insane that this can only be done with LISP and isnt' a basic value stored by the system variables. As for sheet sets as an option, no I do not want to use it, it requires external files to manage, which makes it more complicated to control. A simple file with 2-10 sheets for electrical drawings should be simple enough to contain a 1 OF X sheets count without massive scripting. 

Please Autodesk add this before adding more 'features' to new revisions.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

Post it to IDEA section?

It would be nice, but it is not that simple.

Because you can also have layouts "middle" which does not belong to your "sentence".

Want1, want2, oldlayout, CurrentnotneededLayout, want3

If You Plot "Want1,2,3" in the sure you want 1of3,2of3,3of3
Not 1of5,2of5,5of5 ?

Apart from the problem:
It would be nice as a variable, linked to the layout sorting.
Or / And as an option for Plotstemp.

In all cases, the problem would be the current page number and the total number.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Thanks cadffm.

I will post it in the Ideas section, and call our rep to try and push it more. 

I think the disconnect here is application of civil and mechanical drawings versus application of AutoCAD LT for Electrical drawings. Which has always felt weird but is still common in a lot of places for electrical wiring diagrams. 

Generally, all the wiring is done in the Model space, and the Sheets are all sequential (1,2,3,etc) with no old or unused drawings, as the content would be removed from the active views. 

It's one of those funny things that was possible using LISP, as a work around, but because of that it never made it as a simple variable. But LT unfortunately cannot do LISP. 

I hope to be able to do a simple 1 OF X, as we have on our all schematics within Altium Designer. 

NOTE: There is no AutoCAD LT Product option under Ideas... Just wonderful Autodesk.

Message 4 of 23
pendean

FWIW Don't use the word "SHEET" if you don't want folks around here to respond with SHEET SETS solutions 🙂

Are you actually wanting a way to display counts of LAYOUTs in any given DWG file you have open? A total, then a per-sheet count? And assume all the layouts are in play, there are no "I don't want this counted by I want it in the dwg file anyway" type layout?
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks. Sorry, should have referred to them as "Layouts". That's my past experience with them always being referred to as sheets by the older guys slipping through. 

example.PNG

Example given above in the image. I'm just looking for a simple method (done in LISP as past places, but we're looking to only use AutoCAD LT as it's cheaper) to update the "2" value to the total number of layouts, not including the model.

I don't believe it can be done with DEISEL but I hope someone can show me otherwise. If possible to count the number of times a "titleblock" block has been inserted may be one method.

Message 6 of 23
steven-g

The count isn't stored, you also can't extract the values for the sheets position in the row, so if you move the layouts about there is no way of knowing which is first, second etc, I used to place the layout number as the first 2 digits of the layout name (which can be extracted using diesel into the title) but when you start adding layouts and need to change the order it gets a little annoying, and again something that you have to keep updating is a named environmental variable for the number of layouts (again readable with diesel) but again you have to manually keep it updated. It's just one of those little things in life that would be really nice, but probably won't happen.

Message 7 of 23
pendean

In your screenshot, the 1 and the 2 appear to be FIELD objects, not lisp unless the lisp created a field referencing a digit somewhere.

Since you are totally resisting the use of SSM/SheetSets which are designed for titleblock automation etc. read this old tip using FIELD objects along with specifically named layout tabs (aka not your own naming conventions) http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?95873-Sheet-XX-of-YY-Field

Good luck.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

Dean,

Why can't we just have a system variable which is a total count of all the layout tabs? 

Message 9 of 23
cadffm

Technically no problem
Write the software manufacturer your wish, maybe he fulfills this.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Raising-...

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 23
pendean

Do it the way that already exists: take up and start using SSM (SheetSet Manager).
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

How does sheet set manager automate counting the total number of sheets?

I know you can add it as a field but you still need to manually count them yourself... unless I am missing something

Message 12 of 23
pendean

I'm not sure where the original topic responses were headed, forgive me, but AutoCAD/LT SSM does not count sheets for you.

If you use full AutoCAD, not LT, JTBW's SSMPROPEDITOR may be of use for that task among others (free to try, not to use) https://apps.autodesk.com/en/Detail/Index?id=809201224741111113&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

the best way I found is to use a field linked to a custom value created in drawing properties.  its not automatic, but it works well.  just go into drawing properties and select the custom tab.  add a new property, call it total sheets or something you decide and blamo, you are in like flynn.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

For anyone still having this issue, I had to design the templates for my office who were at the time

only using LT, and I came up with a solution that works very well and is super simple to implement into any title block.

The first thing you do is use the DWGPROPS command to open up your Drawing Properties window.

From there navigate to the "Custom" Tab and hit "Add"

From here you will create a custom property that can be linked to a field, and some of you probably

already know where I'm going with this.

Name the property "Sheets Total" and give it a default value of whatever you want, I prefer XXX since our

layouts can sometimes number in the hundreds.

From there go to your title block and invoke the field command.

At the pop up window you should be able to navigate to the custom property you created, so in this case

"Sheets Total."

This text then behaves like any other field. However, you can now invoke the DWGPROPS command again and

change the "Sheets Total" dialogue box to whatever you want, and it will update every instance of the field 

in your drawing for you after a simple REGEN.

I hope this helps anyone in the future.

Displaying the current sheet number is similarly easy, you just use the field command to display the "CTAB" system variable, and whatever you name your tab will be displayed in the field.

I find this is very helpful for making "Sheet x of xx" in title blocks.

Good Luck!

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

I have been using the same Custom Properties with fields recently. Still have to manually count the sheets but dont have to go sheet by sheet to edit total page number once the field is set up. Also with the CTAB variable the, thing is, is that your sheets have to be numbered 1, 2, 3... which is not what great since I want my sheets to have individual names for different detail sheets. Unless there is something else other than the tab name that the field can reference for each individual sheet. So far haven't found anything. 

Message 16 of 23
pendean

If you use LAYOUTS then explore getting into SSM (SheetSet Manager): usage is explained in HELP and many good tutorials online.

HTH

Message 17 of 23
vladimirvay

Hi AHareJEPXK,

It's already end of May, 2022. Most people are still looking for solution for Total Sheet Count in AutoCAD LT (2020, in my case). I just want to tell you: I found your solution as the Best! one so far. Yes, it's involves a manual input, but you'd only do it once, considering the drawing on 12-15 sheets.

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

Vladimir V.

Message 18 of 23
RobDraw
in reply to: vladimirvay

@vladimirvay wrote:

It's already end of May, 2022.

Try posting that over in the ideas forum where people talk about adding stuff.

@vladimirvay wrote:

Most people are still looking for solution for Total Sheet Count in AutoCAD LT

Actually, most people don't use this kind of notation anymore.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 19 of 23
vladimirvay
in reply to: RobDraw

What kind of notation most people use now?

Message 20 of 23
Filatovy.v
in reply to: vladimirvay

Можно сделать собственную переменную
Подробно рассказано вот здесь
https://www.cadforum.cz/en/total-number-of-layouts-as-a-field-tip11171
На случай, если пропадет файл, загрузил и сюда:
в AutoCAD вводим команду APPLOAD
там указываем путь к файлу .lsp
при следующем запуске соглашаемся использовать
переменную ищем как totallayouts в переменных lisp (ну или как там вы ее назовете)
Пользуемся с великой благодарностью к cadforum cz

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators