Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titleblock

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
1234 Views, 8 Replies

Titleblock

Having a problem editing the area of the Drawing title box.  This  isnt an attribute but cant edit it.  I have attached what I am referring to,  Thank you for your help

Mary

Mary M.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
steven-g
in reply to: mary.mimnaugh

It would help if you pointed out what you are having problems with, I'll hazard a guess at the "L=001" just from its position, similar items are attributes so 'editable' but this is an mtext the same as the other area descriptive labels and therefore not 'editable'.

If that's not the problem then please point out which area is.

Message 3 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
in reply to: steven-g

Hi Maybe I dont understand what you are asking me but let me try to explain.  The L=001 is an attribute that I can go in and change.  The Drawing Title Box where it says Landscape Plan, Details and Plant List isnt part of the attributes.  A friend had helped me with this area and I have tried to learn this part but its a little confusing to me.  Like the Notes area I just type in with Mtext.  I thought this area was the same but I am not able to change it.  Can you explain to me why (simple terms) and is there a way for me to change it so i can go into it to change the title when I need to.  Thank you.  I hope I explained this correctly

Mary

Mary M.
Message 4 of 9
pendean

Your L=001 is an mtext object inside your titleblock, it is NOT an attribute.

So since it is NOT an attribute, then only way you can edit it is to use BEDIT command to get into the titleblock, then edit.

If you want to edit it like all the other entries, you needed to create an ATTRIBUTE object type instead.

My guess is you missed a crucial element from your friend's instructions: any chance you can reach out to them again and have them walk you threw it again?
Message 5 of 9
steven-g

The command you want is 'attdef' open the block editor and try using the qselect tool, first select all the mtext objects from the menu and you can then see which objects are text, do the same for attributes and it shows you where all your attributes are. L=001 is just a simple mtext object.

You need to decide things like the name of the attribute tag and maybe a default value. But when you use those attributes it is definitely not like using mtext. Even your 'NOTES:' is set up as an attribute so you shouldn't be entering mtext there either. Double-clicking your title block opens the attribute editor and that is where you should be altering the content of the attributes. If you can ask your friend to go over this again with you it is not something that is easily explained in two sentences on a forum, it is a different approach to using title blocks. To be brutally honest looking more closely, there are a number of attributes in your title block that really should not be attributes as they are just labels.

Message 6 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your help.  Ifind this a little confusing. Do you know of anything that i can read to explain it better.  My question is why use attributes -  I am sure there is a reason.  Thank you for all your help.  I dont use this that much for most of my work  but know I am using it  a little more so I am trying to figure it out.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks again

Mary M.
Message 7 of 9
pendean

If you need to edit text inside blocks, they need to be attributes. Attributes are 'text' objects specifically created to be inside blocks but editable from outside of the block without having to use commands such as BEDIT.

If you want the text inside a block to never ever change, aka always be the same and always static, you can use TEXT or MTEXT objects.

Outside of blocks you will always use TEXT and MEXT objects, you know, for text.

HTH

Message 8 of 9
steven-g

Take a look at the attached dwg with your title block altered.

The title block labels are fixed and should never need altering (this is the title block design), these are colored red. You should see this as the printed letterhead of a company. You have to open the block editor to get at and change these so really should only be edited when you create your template.

The attributes would normally refer to items relating to that particular layout like the project and address but also the drawing title and layout scale, these are colored green and would be filled out when you start a new layout or possibly when you have revisions. When you insert a new title block you can fill in these details as part of the insert process without having to open the block editor. Or you can double-click on your title block to edit the attributes, or even just highlight the title block and look in the properties palette to change the values.

The other items like NOTES and REVISION description I prefer to keep as mtext just because it is much easier to work with when you can add individual paragraphs (but these could be placed in an attribute). these are colored black. Just text which you are used to working with.

Message 9 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
in reply to: steven-g

Thank you so much.  I will go over it and try and understand it.  I really appreciate all your time

Mary

Mary M.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators