Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Scale for Drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
977 Views, 6 Replies

Set Scale for Drawing

hi there, 

Trying to draw a property outline with buildings in an area of 600 x 180 feet.  

When drawing initial line, it goes off screen and I cant seem to set the drawing for that large of an area.

Used to use AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT 20 years ago, sitting here for hrs very frustrated having a hard time getting started

watched all kinds of tutorials... 😕

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

>>>...When drawing initial line, it goes off screen...<<<
Do you just need to zoom out? scroll that mouse wheel or Zoom>Extents.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

thank you for answering.. look like i need to school myself on scaling interface is so different than version autocad 2000 I think?

trying to open civil template, scale, that title block as well as the page to allow 600 x 200 foot drawing.  

i will just keep at it just trying to throw myself back into this.. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

forget scaling, ignore it completely, do not watch any videos if they even hint at scaling at this point. Just create your drawing in model space using the measurements you have and make your drawing 600x200 feet, at the moment all you need to do is figure out zooming and panning. Once the drawing is complete, then it is time to learn about layouts and that is when you look at scales.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hi there thanks for the reply. I was starting with a Title Block of Civil
Imperial and couldnt get the size of my drawing to fit in the Title Block
so I started a new drawing with out any template and now I'm rolling but
still unsure how to import one of the CIvil Title Blocks into my drawing
once finished. My other issue now is my lines started showing up
substantially thicker when print previewing.

Ive tried scaling down my lines, but this is all I keep getting.

So my question would be how do I adjust my lines back to where they were
and why did they change. Second, what would be the best way to insert a
Title Block into my drawing which is 600' by 200'?

Thanks for the help. It was much better starting out with actual
dimensions..

Message 6 of 7
steven-g

Your title block should be inserted into a paperspace layout, and for this, the layout and title block should be set up to be actual paper sizes and usually, you have a different title block setup for each paper size that you might use. But as an example using a portrait sheet of 11 x 8.5 your title block could take up the whole width of the paper and maybe an inch at the bottom of the sheet and then taking off an area for the border you would have a space of 9.5 x 8 for your drawing, this would be where you place a viewport and it is this viewport that is the only thing that should use a scale.

And this is where I step out of my comfort zone as I use metric, but the measurements laid out above will give you a scale of 1/64" = 1'-0" from the standard inbuilt Autocad scales. And from here you decide if that is a reasonable scale or whether you would need to change the size of the paper used so that you can use a bigger scale.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators