Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recover Autosave files in windows 10

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
stuart.jonesMLXLY
7714 Views, 20 Replies

recover Autosave files in windows 10

can not find .sv$ autosave files...........why has autocad has not made this a feature of Drawing Recovery or created a new function for it...........seems ludicrous that you have to manually look for it within the windows folder structure.

using windows 10, used to find it in windows xp

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
cadffm
in reply to: stuart.jonesMLXLY

It is part of the drawing recovery manager191127-1.jpg

_DRAWINGRECOVERY

Sebastian

Message 3 of 21

Do you have it turned on? Options-Open and Save-Automatic save is it ticked.

And you can find the files location at Options-Files-Automatic Save File-Path

It's probably buried in the system files somewhere like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp

Message 4 of 21
stuart.jonesMLXLY
in reply to: cadffm

it is only part of the drawing recovery manager ONLY if your computer has crashed and recovered, otherwise it is not.......as the help in autocad says!

Message 5 of 21

thanks for your reply.............it is turned on but not able to find in windows 10, can in windows xp and link vista!!

Message 6 of 21

It's only in the Autosave folder if your drawing crashed anyway, otherwise it is automatically deleted.

Message 7 of 21

@stuart.jonesMLXLY wrote:

thanks for your reply.............it is turned on but not able to find in windows 10, can in windows xp and link vista!!

You can't find the folder? or the file in the folder?

Message 8 of 21

thanks.....useful to know.......I guess Autodesk only think that pcs make mistakes not humans!  so I guess the autosave does not happen every 10 mins only when it crashes, so I guess the options menu autosave should say auto-save only in the event of a crash............somewhat misleading..........do you know how this can be fed back to Autodesk?

Message 9 of 21

Autosave does save every 10 minutes (or however often you set), and if your computer crashes then that autosave file is available to use to recover your work, unfortunately when you close a drawing and say you don't want to save the changes, then you are telling Autocad it is OK to delete the Autosave file as well, otherwise you would very quickly have a 'temp' folder with gigabytes of drawing data. We've all done it but having that data stored 'anyway' would soon build up. It's far better to get used to saving your drawing regularly, but that isn't what Autosave is designed for.

Message 10 of 21

thank you for your response.............it gives such hope. surely you should have the option to opt in to an autosave function that deletes previous versions.........oh well know that I have to be very vidulent and not rely on the so-called autosave that does not save only in the event of a crash which it should do automatically.  thanks anyway.

Message 11 of 21

I have also seen problems from having that type of thing available, I once built a macro, for something I used regularly and thought it a good idea to also add in 'qsave' just for that very reason, until one day I was looking at someone else's drawing, for taking off some measurements (our normal workflow). A couple of days later I got a call from the Architect asking why I had been making changes to his master drawing and what had I done. I hadn't done anything other than my normal work but having "saved" the drawing the file had my name on it (plus the zoom level\view had changed) and once saved even undo won't unsave.

The moral of the story - even if you really really really want a feature, there are times when you REALLY wish you didn't have it and had never wished for it in the first place. The last time I closed a drawing without saving it??? I can no longer remember.

The last time I remember getting a roasting from our senior Architect? I remember that regularly, that was the day I removed qsave from my 'lifesaving' macro. 🙄

Message 12 of 21

I know where you are coming from but AutoCAD could if they wanted to develop a solution - simple really its an extension of the current autosave feature, a back-up file........by the way do you know how back-up files are saved, have one for the file in question but not recent, can I not change that function to save every 1 hr  just very galling when you loose a whole days work because you forgot to save, why autocad does not create a back-up when you put your PC to sleep or restart, or does it?

Message 13 of 21

The bak file is updated every time you save a drawing, there's a whole process goes on in the background, but still, you need to physically press the save button. Basically the bak file is from 2 saves ago.

Another really important thing to remember is when you start a new blank drawing. Is to make sure you name and save it as one of your first priorities.

Message 14 of 21

that's useful cheers.  Don't understand in this day and age where a backup of your files happens in the background without pressing any button why Autodesk have not developed this back-up to back-up automatically, replacing the file like .......I'm also very frustrated, as you may tell, that AutoCAD 2020 has lost the classic tool Pallett.

Message 15 of 21
cadffm

@stuart.jonesMLXLY  schrieb:

I'm also very frustrated, as you may tell, that AutoCAD 2020 has lost the classic tool Pallett.

1. There is and was nothing with the name "classic tool pallett"

2. 2020 lost nothing, whatever you mean with "classic tool pallett"

Sebastian

Message 16 of 21
stuart.jonesMLXLY
in reply to: cadffm

you are very correct, surprised do you did not allude to it my very expert friend when you say there is nothing called classic tool palette as it is technically called Classic Workspace, which 2020 does not long import or support for 2020 but did in 2019 AutoCAD 2019..........  I prefered the fact that you could have more functions display on the screen at one time, which the current graphical interface you have many less functions displayed at once.

Message 17 of 21
cadffm

Default WORKSPACES are just samples, but all things are there, in 2020 too.

Create your own Workspace for 'Classic'

Save the current workspace if you like that.

Then

_WSSAVE Classic

Ribbonclose

Menubar 1

_-toolbar Layer

And right click to the layer toolbar to turn on other toolbars

At last, save your workspace again by the same name.

Sebastian

Message 18 of 21
pendean

CLASSIC WORKSPACE, not "palette", can be recreated in less that a minute anytime you want if your actual problem is not knowing about MENUBAR command or you are afraid to simply pile on the buttons on the QAT bar that is basically a fixed toolbar with 55+ icons capacity.

The one minute tip:

MENUBAR command, turn it on = 1 (4 seconds)
Go to Tools > toolbars > acad > layers (5 seconds)
hoover over layers toolbar > right click > properties (3 seconds)
hoover over any toolbar > right click > standard (3 seconds)
hoover over any toolbar > right click > styles (3 seconds)
hoover over any toolbar > right click > workspaces (3 seconds)
RIBBONCLOSE command (3 seconds)
arrange toolbars as you desire (20 seconds)
WORKSPACE command, SAVEAS option, CLASSIC will be the new name you type (5 seconds)

Message 19 of 21
stuart.jonesMLXLY
in reply to: pendean

I'll have a look through that later...........thanks for your help

Message 20 of 21
debbyrd734
in reply to: steven-g

I can't find the file folder for autosave drawings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report