Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raster to vector

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
12964 Views, 11 Replies

raster to vector

I am using Autocad LT 2017 and need to convert some pdf raster images to vector images so I can import them into Autocad and edit them. What is the best and software to use for this?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no "best", it depends on the quality of the Raster images more than anything.

You want to use a type of software called Raster To Vector from other vendors, remember to try before you buy https://www.google.com/search?q=raster+to+vector+software
Message 3 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD LT forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

As Dean pointed out  in his post, there are numerous conversion applications available. Depending on the size and complexity of your raster images you can also use a program such as Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator to find the "paths".

Can you share a sample of what you are working from so I might make some additional suggestions?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you find a good method to transfer the raster data to vector format? If not, I am happy to take a look at any sample files you can provide.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

This is a sample of the file I am trying to convert.

Message 6 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I used PDFIMPORT to bring this into a drawing.  Since it is raster based, 3 PNG files were created.  I can then dump these into the online Vectormagic application.  This should give me a vector-based PDF that I can now import into AutoCAD as geometry.  Since your sample was a simple one-line diagram I think that this workflow might work pretty well for you.

The Vector Magic is a Paid service but I only selected it as an example.  There are many others available on the Internet as well such as this one which is free.

If you happen to have a license of Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape you can open the PDF there and find the Paths and then export to AutoCAD.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2017 and I use pdfimport to open up the file with the raster box checked but were do I see these png files?

Message 8 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

The PDF Images are stored in a location set in your OPTIONS. Select he File tab and scroll down to PDF Import Image Location. Click on the PDF Images and then Browse to see the current location where these files are stored.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

OK john Im still lost. I start a new drawing and do a pdfimport and pick the file I sent you, I have the raster image box checked and it comes up as a drawing. It is divided into 3 blocks. So what file do I use in the online converter because it is a .dwg file now. Will inkscape read the original pdf file that I am picking in AutoCAD to import in?

Message 10 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes you have a drawing with three parts in it from the PDFImport process. If you open your XREF manager you will see the three attachments are actually PNG files.  These are the files you would need to upload onto one of the raster conversion sites.

It has been a while since I have used Inkscape. I am installing it now and will post back.

Inkscape is able to open the original PDF without issue. I found this page that describes how to convert to paths.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Smart VectorImage : is a stand-alone program that converts scanned drawings, maps and raster images into accurate vector files (such as DXF, EPS, SVG) for editing in any CAD application.

http://www.smartdwg.com/VectorImage.htm

Key Features

• Raster to Vector Convert .
  • Input raster image formats: BMP, JPG, TIF, GIF, PNG, PCX, TGA, RLE, JPE, J2K, JAS, JBG, MNG and more.
  • Output vector formats: DXF, SVG,EPS.
  • Easy to use.
  • Automatically convert JPG, PNG, BMP, and GIF bitmap images to true SVG, EPS,DXF .
Message 12 of 12
steven-g

An awful lot of money for something that Inkscape does for free. If you are selling that program there is a classifieds section to these forums especially for advertising!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report