Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick measure problems

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dmuse
1511 Views, 4 Replies

Quick measure problems

Hello,

I have a brand new laptop with a fresh installation of ACAD LT 2020. Could someone help explain how to customize the Utilities ribbon to remove the Quick Measure button? Quick measure brings my machine to a screeching halt, I will never, ever use it. All I need to use is the distance tool.

Thanks in advance,

Dana

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dmuse
in reply to: dmuse

Nevermind, I figured out how to modify using the "User Interface" button in the Customization panel on the Manage ribbon. I successfully removed the Quick Measure button from the MEASURE pulldown in my UTILITIES panel on the Home ribbon. It was not too difficult. Good riddance.

Although, I am curious to hear if anyone else is annoyed by the quick measure function. I work with pretty large files with thousands of lines and dozens of blocks and layers. The regular distance command works great, the quick measure function would absolutely bog down my ACAD so that it was unusable.

Thanks again,

Dana

Message 3 of 5
pendean

No issues with locking up when using the tool in large files here in 2020.1 for us: but there is nothing wrong with DIST command either, we use it just as much as we always have done.

Message 4 of 5
dmuse
in reply to: pendean

Hi pendean, thanks for the feedback. Drawings around 5 or 10MB are no problem. At 20MB, the crosshairs start to get a little jerky. At 30MB, the quick measure command is unusable. I can easily escape out of the command and go back to normal, but until then, on bigger drawings with a lot of details, the crosshairs and quick measure don't even appear.

This is a clean install on a brand new computer, although it is a laptop, but that's why I use LT. It has a 9th gen intel i7-9850H 2.6GHz cpu, 16MB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an Nvidia Quadro T2000 graphics card (along with the integrated intel graphics). I will go through some settings to see if there is anything obvious, I suspect ACAD is using the integrated intel graphics and not the Nvidia graphics. Quick measure doesn't really offer enough (or any) improved functionality for me to wrestle with this for too long, so I will probably just continue never using it, but if it is an indicator that ACAD is not optimizing the available resources, it might be worth some investigation.

Dana

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

The problem - I would submit - is that AutoCAD/Autodesk presumes to make these "improvements" every year in order to justify charging for the high cost of the software.  The user above had to find out a way (which I still cannot seem to find) to turn off a feature ("Not a Bug") that was slowing their productivity.

Just leave the software alone for a few years and reduce the annual cost.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators