Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening .dwg File from Excel Hyperlink AutoCAD LT 2023

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
john.storkF9M88
285 Views, 5 Replies

Opening .dwg File from Excel Hyperlink AutoCAD LT 2023

Hello,

I am trying to use excel 2016 as a "Table of Contents" to link out to open drawings in our server database. I used the hyperlink() function to create the link to the .dwg file but it will not open the dwg. It will only open a new instance of AutoCAD LT 2023 instead of the linked drawing. I currently am using a workaround with a hyperlink to the folder containing the drawing where the user then has to click the drawing to open it but I want to eliminate that step. If anyone can please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: john.storkF9M88

What's the error message that is offered when you try to open a DWG from Excel2016 exactly? There always is one, and it is often a clue to what needs to be fixed.

Side note... do you use layouts or plot only from modelspace?
Message 3 of 6
john.storkF9M88
in reply to: pendean

I get a warning for opening the file. 

johnstorkF9M88_0-1657288819024.png

Generally only plot from model space but some of the drawings are using layouts. We are trying to organize our database of drawings from the last 20-ish years so there are some inconsistencies with how things have been done. However, no matter what type of dwg I try to open, only a new instance of AutoCAD LT opens, without opening up the DWG.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

So does it open the DWG file if you click OK? or just the default LT 'new file"?

Is LT2023 the default program if you double-click to open a DWG file in Windows File Manager?

Did you used to have an older LT version and this worked just fine in Excel 2016? Or is this a new process/procedure that is just now implemented?

FWIW that's a default alert Microsoft like to use to remind us all about opening any files from other programs: if you are concerned that your own files that you created in your office are somehow suspicious then please engage with your IT folks to help mitigate your concerns, no one here can do that for you.

TIA
Message 5 of 6

It will only open the default "new File" when I click the hyperlink.

AutoCAD L Tis the default program and will open the DWG files when I click them in file explorer.

This is an entirely new process being implemented. 

The alert is just an annoyance. I don't mind it being there as long as it actually opens the DWG when I click Ok. 

Message 6 of 6
pendean

I am not able to replicate the issue here with a quick test using LT2023 (program open first, and program not open) in Excel365 (we don't use any older Excel version here) in Win10Pro.

In LT2023 I do not have QNEW defined to any template file. Not sure it makes a difference, but I just can't think of what else might cause the effect you see.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report