Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials List

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3016 Views, 5 Replies

Materials List

I am working with dynamic blocks in AutoCAD LT 2017. Is there any way i can get the program to automatically generate a Bill of Materials or Materials List of all the blocks i have in the drawing?

Also, some of these dynamic blocks use a 'Linear Array' parameter. Do all the 'arrayed' blocks get counted or does it just count it as a whole block?

e.g. in the picture attached, would it count 7 separate blocks or just one dynamic block?

Grateful for helpful answers....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks. That actually has helped in my understanding of AutoCAD LT, but it still doesn't do exactly what i expect.

I have a attached a few files to aid me in explaining the problem.

I can produce the list and everything, as per the cad notes website you provided. But I does not count some of the dynamic blocks, and with other dynamic blocks it counts all the 'sub-blocks' that i have added attributes to, therefore making it seem as though there are more blocks than there actually are.

In the DWG file i have attached, i have inserted four of the blocks i work with. The dynamic one is linked to the other three via a blocks pallette on my computer. I can insert these from the pallette onto my workspace through the design centre.

You can have a play with these blocks to see what i am working with. You can see  in the zoomed up pictures below (Pic1-Pic3) where i have attached the attribute to the block.

Pic1.jpgPic2.jpgPic3.jpg

The first text file is my Template that i use when generating the list using ATTEXT. The second text file is the result. As can be seen from the DWG, it should be counting 7 different items, but when i do the ATTEXT it only registers that i have selected 4 objects, but only lists 3.

The question i really need to know is:

Is there any way to fix or overcome this???

Message 4 of 6
john.vellek

Good morning @Anonymous,

I am looking at your drawing and I think I see what is going on. When you created your dynamic block, you simply inserted the other blocks into it, each with its own visibility state.

What you need to do is not nest the blocks but have just the linework and text for each visibility state set up. Does this make sense? I could certainly do this for you but as part of the learning curve it is probably best if you give it a try first.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Thanks for that. I also have another block that i have tried to add another visiblity state to. I played around with parameters and managed to get it to sort of work, but when i change it from that visibilty state to an exiting one, it doesn't hide like the others do when they are changed.

So i think what you have said is the reason why it behaves that way.

Do you know of any tutorials on this sort of scenario? I find it easier to learn by watching...

Part of the problem is that i got the blocks off someone else, who in turn revceived tham off another person who may or may not have got them elsewhere so it is not easy to just go back to the person who created them because i have no idea who they are, so that is why i am trying to resolve the issue myself.

Glad if you could point me in the direction of any helpful tutorials.

MT.

Message 6 of 6
john.vellek

Hi reubens,

Start with this video. There is a lot of good stuff on YouTube for AutoCAD! You could also check out Lynda.com and the Autodesk University

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report