Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge file size

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Akunkinga
705 Views, 5 Replies

Huge file size

Autocad LT 2022

Can anyone tell me how to reduce a cad dwg file size.

I am creating factory drawings and whilst my drawing size is ok I have a problem.

The client issues me with a machinery dwg which I have to add in to my drawing. The machinery dwg file size is 49Mb it’s got hundreds of tiny lines making up the screws bolts and various parts of the machinery.

This huge file size causes problems with the slowing down pc, creating pdfs and also transmittal.

I’ve tried purge overkill audit but still same size.

Thanks

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
imadHabash
in reply to: Akunkinga

Hi,

I suggest to follow this link and try all the solutions ( one by on ) and don't forget to save the drawing after every method ( solution ) . >> Click << 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
pendean

@Akunkinga wrote:

Autocad LT 2022

it’s got hundreds of tiny lines making up the screws bolts and various parts of the machinery.

If the tips in the link above do not help much, then your badly crafted CAD file with all of those tiny lines are the problem. Try XREF to bring that massive file into your own files to work through, or ask your client for a better drafted DWG file.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 6
Akunkinga
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the link, i had already found the link and tried all those to no avail

I will get back to the client.

The problem with xref there are so many different companies in various countries adding to the drawings and they are not always in correct position or scale so xref does not always work

I would like to know how the client could create a smaller file size drawing.

Would he have to create blocks or what?

Message 5 of 6
pendean

@Akunkinga As a recipient of DWG files, you cannot control or fix badly generated CAD files sent to you created by others. Sorry. No such miracle software exists.

Thaw/Turn on/Unlock all layers in a DWG file while in MODEL tab, Zoom Extents, start WBLOCK command then window-select everything on screen. Continue in the WBLOCK command pop-up to create a new DWG file. The resulting file is as small as your selected content will ever get.

That's all you / your client can do. That's it. End of story.

UNLESS... they want to pay you to recreate all the content yourself as blocks and XREFs and more.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
RSomppi

I've been on the receiving end of many such drawings and it's been my experience that cleaning up the drawings is much easier than trying to get a stripped down version from the source and the time it takes, which can be a lot, is worth it just for the gain in performance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators