Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find center of mass of object

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
PeterHowell
2874 Views, 2 Replies

Find center of mass of object

I want to find the center of mass of an irregularly shaped 2D object.  I enter massprop.  The command line reads "MASSPROP Select objects".   I place the cursor in the center of the object and left click.  The command line shows "Select object: 1 found".  There is nothing else displayed.  If I press enter,  the command line reads "No solids or regions selected". 

If I enter "Region"  the command line reads "Region Select objects".   The message then reads "Select objects:  1 found. "  When I hit enter, I get the message "1 closed, degererate or unsupported object rejected, ) loops extracted, 0 regions created."  

I believe that the object is properly bounded because I am able to hatch it.

How can I find the Center of Mass of this object?

Thanks,

PeterHowell_1-1588010538448.png

"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: PeterHowell

Look up MASSPROP command in HELP: it says you have to select either a 2D REGION or a 3D SOLID.
You simply have a HATCH object type if I identify it with LIST or PROPERTIES commands.

Now do you understand why nothing works?

Also, you cannot convert a hatch to a region, you need to recreate the hatch's boundary as a closed PLINE first, then select that PLINE in REGION command to convert it to a 2D Region. Look up REGION command in HELP, it explains what you can select to convert to a region object type.

Remember to tap HELP often, it saves you time in the long run.

HTH
Message 3 of 3
PeterHowell
in reply to: pendean

Thank you.  Your solution worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report