Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easier way to link my drawing title block to a viewport?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
johnrmcwatersiii
847 Views, 2 Replies

Is there an easier way to link my drawing title block to a viewport?

I created a drawing title block that has a scale and scale bar that adjust depending on the scale of a viewport that it's linked to. If I copy both the block and viewport, the link will remain between the two. But if I want to link a new viewport to the drawing title block, it is kind of a pain because I have to go in and manually link each number to the scale.

If I double click the block to bring up the enhanced attribute editor, there is a selection button at the upper right to select a block. It would be nice if you could select a viewport instead that could then be used to reference the scale for each of the numbers in the block.

I've attached the definition to this message.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: johnrmcwatersiii

There is no automatic 'link to a new viewport' quick and easy solution in LT. Sorry.
Message 3 of 3
steven-g
in reply to: johnrmcwatersiii

The problem is that the titleblock is looking at that one unique viewport you used when you created it, using copy and then paste, any copies of the titleblock will still be 'looking' at that original viewport.

But if you use Ctrl+Shift+V (paste as block) and then explode the new block, this will trick AutoCAD into using the new viewport as the reference object (and you don't need to edit anything).

If you select the original titleblock and viewport and turn them into a block then you could place this in your toolpalette as a block insert tool. Once in a toolpalette (that's toolpalette, not toolbar) you can change the properties to make the block automatically explode on insertion, now you can insert your 'linked' viewport and toolbar into any layout and any drawing you want and it will work. Create the block use Ctrl+c to copy it, open your toolpalette and right click then select 'paste' then right-click the new icon in the toolpalette and select 'properties' in that list you will find the 'explode' property which is set to 'NO' by default just change this to 'YES'. This will now be available to use in any drawing in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report