Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

elevation issue when drawing new polylines, how to getthem to stick to elevation 0

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
m.dekoningQ799Y
3447 Views, 12 Replies

elevation issue when drawing new polylines, how to getthem to stick to elevation 0

I am new to autocad LT, i used to work with the full version.

For me it is not a problem that autocad LT has no 3d funcionality, but when i import drawings that have objects and lines with different heights every polyline i draw using snap snaps to the Z level of the object.

In the full version there is a button that can let snap ignore the Z value in LT there isnt that option.

My problem is that my lines are all in different planes so its impossible to use intersection or cut or fillet them. Also i fear that area's dont measure correct because they are not in a flat plane.

How can i tell autocad LT not only draw at elevation 0? its impossible to flatten every incoming drawing (and autocad LT does not have the flatten command)

thnx in advance,

Martijn

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
user181
in reply to: m.dekoningQ799Y

Try setting OSNAPZ to 1. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
steven-g
in reply to: user181

There is no OSNAPZ in LT.

Message 4 of 13
steven-g

Unfortunately, that is one of the little problems we LT users have to live with, snaps will snap to Z levels on existing geometry and there is no way to stop that happening. Your best option would be to ask the people sending you drawings to flatten them first. Or go through each drawing yourself and use the properties palette to remove as much of the Z geometry as you can. Yes full AutoCAD has those tools but those tools are why you pay a premium price

Message 5 of 13
m.dekoningQ799Y
in reply to: steven-g

Thanks for the reply.

This is not really a minor problem...

one would think if you get a 2D drawing program it would just draw 2D...

I can not think of 1 good reason why polylines drawn would start at the snapping Z positions.... nor can I think of one good reason why you can not turn on ignore Z elevations.

it makes it almost impossible to work with!

Message 6 of 13
cadffm

LT works also in a 3D room and can create objects in all directions(3D).

Just creating 3D objectTYPEs is not available, and also some useful commands(or variables) are not available.

Much more a problem are the missing APIs for programming.

-" I think of one good reason why you can not turn on ignore Z elevations."

I am with you..

For 2D Object(type)s, search for LT ways for FLATTEN.

You will find the MOVE to 1e99 trick, or you can do it step by step in properties palette,

that's all you can do.

- Sebastian -
Message 7 of 13
steven-g

If it is just polylines where you have the problem then use this macro and create your own command, either place it somewhere in the ribbon or a toolpalette. A custom command can only be started from a button icon in LT no keyboard method (again you only get that in the full version). This macro starts the polyline command telling it the first point is at Z=0.

^C^C^Cpline;.z;0,0,0;

Message 8 of 13
m.dekoningQ799Y

wow that seems to work! i was affraid it would only put the first point at .Z = 0, but it keeps all the following points at zero too!

That almost solves my problem, I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the PL command so that it automatically does this so i dont have to click the button all the time. Any ideas on that?

Message 9 of 13
steven-g

That's one of the properties of a polyline, once started all other points have to remain on the same plane and so after the first point, the Z value of any further snaps is ignored. That is why this macro works for a polyline, it wouldn't work with a LINE because a line is free to snap to any 3D point.

As for altering the PL shortcut, I'm afraid not that is something only available in the full version, you also cannot use command aliases for custom commands. There are quite a few 'restrictions' on what LT can do.

Message 10 of 13
m.dekoningQ799Y

Since i only use polylines it works fine for me, only thing i need now is a way to implement this in the standard PL command so i can use the shortcut instead of having to push the button all the time i want to draw a polyline, and i will be a happy camper!

Message 11 of 13
pendean

There is no letter shortcuts in LT for anything beyond core command calls: so if the only thing holding you back from typing PL for PLINE command is you never learned about PGP file editing that also exists in full AutoCAD, here is your chance to right now, explore this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/ENU/Au...

HTH

Message 12 of 13
m.dekoningQ799Y
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

I can edit pgp files, so changing the shortcut from Pline to PL is not the issue.

the problem is I can not bind a keyboard shortcut to the new macro that keeps Z value of polylines at zero. So it works fine as long as I click the button I crated with the macro inside, every time I want to draw a polyline. This isn’t good for my workflow..

so two things would solve my problems;

1) I can make the shortcut PL run the macro, but Autodesk tells me that’s not possible in LT

or

2) I would ‘hack’ the polyline commmand and blend in the macro that puts first point at Z zero, but I don’t know if that’s possible 

Message 13 of 13
steven-g

We know what you want to do, but the same answer is coming from everyone LT CANNOT DO THAT. You cannot call a macro from a pgp shortcut, you cannot hack the core pline command (or any core command) and change how it works. The only method to get the start of a pline to ignore Z is by using a macro and the only way to call a macro is through placing an icon somewhere in a menu, ribbon, toolpalette or toolbar.

There is one other option and that is to create a macro and in the CUI assign a shortcut key, the disadvantage to this is you have to use a key combination so, Shift+(key), or Ctrl+(key), or Ctrl+Shift+(key) this can only be a single key so you couldn't use Shift+PL and you need to be very careful not to pick keys that are 'Windows-based' like Ctrl+c plus it gets very tiresome having to use key combinations. If you really want another method then your only option is to go with full AutoCAD, that program is designed with this type of thing in mind.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost