Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF change drawing units

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2445 Views, 3 Replies

DXF change drawing units

I am having an issue when I am opening dxf files that have been exported from Solidworks.  The drawing initially appears perfect with architectural units.  Upon clicking on the dimensions they change to fractional and this is the value of primary units before clicking the dimension.  Is there a way to change these drawings to recognizing the units as architectural?  I've attatched a screen shot of one of the dimensions before it changes.  It appears perfect but under primary units it is set to fractional and suppress 0 inches which is clearly not the setting.

Also does anyone know where in the dxf file text you can change the units of the dimensions? Ive tried changing the value of $DIMUNIT but it has no effect and interestingly is not actually present in the dxf.  Also just a decent guide to the dxf vernacular would be helpful.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't see any "fractional" in your screenshot.
You can change your file's defined DIMSTYLE command settings to anything you want anytime you want: help yourself.

Do you only want to work in DXF file format? DWG is the default in AutoCAD/LT.

If you are wanting SOLIDWORKS (non-architectural software) to generate perfect architecturally set DXF file you will need to go ask SOLIDWORKS support or that file supplier about how to do that. Otherwise please explain, are you just new to using AutoCAD?

TIA

Message 3 of 4
natasha.l
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous, 

I would try creating a new Dimension Style in the "Dimension Style Manager" setting the "Primary Units > Unit Format > Architectural. 

DimensionStyleManager.png

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

Thank you for your replies,

After some frustration I found the answer, the tag is 277 and the value is 4 for architectural, see the attached screen shot of the dxf file TABLES region.  

Sorry my description of the issue was not the best, thank you for your assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators