Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions changing by themselves.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
278 Views, 2 Replies

Dimensions changing by themselves.

Today I was bought a printed drawing that had an incorrect dimension on it. After checking the .dwg file i couldn't see what was up. The osnap settings were standard, and the node points of the dimensions were snapped correctly onto the item. Also, nothing was in the Z plane. I was stumped, especially as it was only one dimension amongst many. 

I draw everything 1:1 in model space then pull it into paperspace via viewports and dimension everything in a single dimstyle. The VP's are generically locked.

After many years use, i find this the easiest way of doing things. I also use associative dimensions as standard. 

Anyway, after a while i managed to recreate this phenomenon (somehow). I made a viewport of scale 1:16 and dimensioned objects just like i normally would. This time however i was a little rushed so didn't use a a company standard dim layer. 

So.....when i highlighted 5off dimensions at once and used the properties box to change their layer, i was rather astounded to see the middle of the (continued) dimensions change from 1111mm to 17776mm.

After a little digging it seems that DIMLFAC had randomly changed from -16 (as per the VP) to -256....as per what i don't know. 

Sorry for the long story to get to this point but after reading many other similar issues it seems that a step by step approach may be beneficial. 

If anyone could advise me upon a setting that my be askew or if i've done something obviously wrong then i'd appreciate it. At the moment this has bought about a distinct trust issue of AutoCad drawings whereas a singular changed and missed dimension could cost the company a fortune.

In 30 years of Acad use i've never seen before. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
steven-g
in reply to: Anonymous

A good description of the problem unfortunately an image only helps to visualize the description. We need a .dwg to see what might be going on. Otherwise, it is just a guessing game.

Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

I'll take a crack at the guessing game you presented, obviously you don't need to get back to work right away 😉

DIMLFAC never randomly changes on its own: are you using a difference dimstyle and missing that fact?
or do you dimension in paperspace and one or more of those dimensions has gotten diassociated? DIMREASSOCIATE command is what fixes that problem, usage is explained in HELP in you need to more info.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report